My new pup

Mentalmac

Hi All,

I have read this part of the forum over and over and even posted here before about wanting a dog and then in the wanted section here. I have been offered a LOT of GREAT advice from here, and done a lot of soul searching about getting a dog and then which one would be right for me.

I am finally pleased to say I have secured a pup, who I will be picking up in a few weeks when she is 8 weeks old :-) - can't wait!

I wanted to thank everyone who helped me out with advice and offers, and I ended up going for a little pup over a slightly older pup such as the fabulous one Lee Kinsman here has to offer. I watched Lee's videos and thought so much of it and if it wasn't for my kids or wife I would have gone down that route for sure. Thanks Lee for your advice and help, and I am sure someone will be biting your hand off (hopefully not the dog haha) soon :-).

My wife was very specific in the end about wanting a pup from young age, she has had a great many dogs over the years but none since we have been together. So this is going to be good, she's now just as excited as me (if that is possible). SABS on here gave me a good word of advice about how when you get a dog your wife will see less in you, and I think he is right already and we haven't got her yet.

A big thanks to Bigbird on here who helped me loads with advice and help and thanks for putting up with all my odd questions and over excited typing.

This little pup has a pedigree that should suit me just fine, and the parents are great as are his others so fingers crossed I can do her justice.

Here she is:

F116730B-6038-4BFC-BFEB-BE85895799E9-142

Just got the hard task of naming her really - certainly not letting the kids name her, not after them naming the other pets of ours!!!

Good luck with your pup. I am sure that you will not fall into the trap of taking her out shooting too early. One post within the last week stated that the poster's seven month old dog was achieving some good retrieves. That dog may be ruined already.

Good luck with your pup. I am sure that you will not fall into the trap of taking her out shooting too early. One post within the last week stated that the poster's seven month old dog was achieving some good retrieves. That dog may be ruined already.

Thanks Jdog,

Nah, I have read so much about training and when to start etc... I will ensure I don't ruin her, I have read a lot about ding the basic training of manners and having fun with them as a pup and then starting to build upon this with more serious later etc... will be doing it by the book :-).

I am not a serious enough shooter to be in a rush for her either.

Good luck with the pup, she looks like a Rowan to me LOL.

Good advice dont rush as I did and waste not 1 but 2 good dogs. Don't get me wrong I didn't want or need a FTCH. My 3rd is Amber and at 13 months she is cumming along ok

Best of luck

R

Looks a nice pup , is it the one you spoke to me about ?

Thanks Fenboy, oh yes, she's the one I was mentioning :-)

Can't wait to get her home, already puppy proofing: (well, moving my nice things upstairs and replacing with the wife's stuff to sacrifice first)

Good luck with the pup, she looks like a Rowan to me LOL.

Good advice dont rush as I did and waste not 1 but 2 good dogs. Don't get me wrong I didn't want or need a FTCH. My 3rd is Amber and at 13 months she is cumming along ok

Best of luck

R

Thanks Ronnie, I'll take that on board - :-)

'Can't wait to get her home, already puppy proofing: (well, moving my nice things upstairs and replacing with the wife's stuff to sacrifice first)'

Good skills.

Haha the best bit is that she hasn't clocked on yet! she even said "Ah, that looks nice" and "oh, something seems different here" but I just smile and carry on :-)

Nice looking pup :good:

Re Naming, I was given a good piece of advice about this not so long ago by Old farrier, who was given the advice by a top trainer "back in the day"

When naming a pup,aim for a short (2 syllables) happy name, something that ends with a "Y", Poppy, Indy, Molly etc.

Avoid names that sound like your telling them off (ending in "O"), Bruno, Leo, Coco. The "O" part of the name can sound like "NO" to a dog, probably one of the first words your pup will learn and associate it with doing wrong.

Sorry to anyone who has got a dog with a name ending in "O" :blush: , i'm just passing on a good piece of advice (imo) that was passed on to me :good:

Good luck with the pup and don't leave anything laying around that you don't want chewing to death :lol:

All the best

SABS

Re Naming, I was given a good piece of advice about this not so long ago by Old farrier, who was given the advice by a top trainer "back in the day"

When naming a pup,aim for a short (2 syllables) happy name, something that ends with a "Y", Poppy, Indy, Molly etc.

Avoid names that sound like your telling them off (ending in "O"), Bruno, Leo, Coco. The "O" part of the name can sound like "NO" to a dog, probably one of the first words your pup will learn and associate it with doing wrong.

Sorry to anyone who has got a dog with a name ending in "O" :blush: , i'm just passing on a good piece of advice (imo) that was passed on to me :good:

Good luck with the pup and don't leave anything laying around that you don't want chewing to death :lol:

All the best

SABS

I have a dog ending in O :) I also know a awful lot of very good dogs that don't end in Y :lol: but then I also know some very good dogs that do end in Y :hmm:???

I have a dog ending in O :) I also know a awful lot of very good dogs that don't end in Y :lol: but then I also know some very good dogs that do end in Y :hmm:???

I also know a few dogs with name ending in O, some are great, others not so great. I also know a few ending in Y, again some good, some not so good. :/

It all comes down to the training and the "Y" option makes sense as a help towards that training :good:

There are no hard and fast rules and everyone should pick a name that they feel is right for them and the dog responds well to. My little Indy responds well to "GET HERE YOU LITTLE ******" :blush::lol:

Thinking on that's a good point! I have Edward, Cilla, Jazzy, Molly, Sidney, Buzz, Doofus, Broc, Moss, Pebble - all good solid happy names :)

And I bet you call eddy when you want him and Edward when he does wrong 😋

Along with buzzy brockey mossey

Anyway don't want to spoil micks post with a debate at a happy time

Let the kids chose it mick 😂😂😂

All the best

Of

Thanks all, :-). I still am undecided on names, having a mare battling the wife as she wants to name her haha.

I have been busying myself with organising bits and bobs and buying things, it's like having another kid on the way!

I must have read about 1000 articles on training and when and how and what etc... so hopefully I'll remember a lot when she comes and will try to ensure I teach the good behaviours from the start but letting her be a pup.

2 weeks to go!

Oh she's gorgeous, great choice ;):)

Thanks BB, I really can't wait haha, got it all planned out getting her, just trying to be careful on what to buy and where from so as I don't go overboard or buy the 'really expensive' stuff if I don't need to.

the worst bit is having to wait so long to pick a pup up!

Edited to say that I also couldn't have picked her without your help, so thanks again.

Edited by Mentalmac

I once received a good tip from the breeder I got Shona from, the golden lab I had before her chewed everything in site (no longer with us). I explained this to the woman. She asked if I had given any toys, I replied PLENTY, she pointed out that's the problem with chewing, where dose the dog know what to chew and when to stop. everything is fair game.

Lesson learned, ONLY ONE TOY

R

All the best

SABS

Leo, do you know a dog called Leo?

Edited by reggiegun

All the best

SABS

Excellent advice.