WARNING TO ALL SHOOTERS !!!!!!!

WARNING to all shooters, and some words of advice.!!!!!

Today drummed home to me what can and ACTUALLY DID HAPPEN.

I arrived at the farm early this morning and had just about finished setting up my deeks and hide when an old boy came walking down to where I was.

He seemed a bit miffed that i had beat him to it, setting up in the only 2 blow- holes in the wheat. He muttered that he was going to set up in the field behind me on the rape.

I shot for a couple of hours and then walked back to my jeep to let my injured dog out for a pee. I saw 2 trucks parked up and walked up behind the hide. Nobody in there, so I shouted a couple of oi' s and the old boy comes running up the headland shouting for help.

I ran round and down into the field to be told another Shooter further down the hedgerow had collapsed and fell forward, bringing his hide down with him.

Upon arrival, the man is laying on the floor, had been sick all over himself and the floor. I immediately rang 999 and called for an ambulance.

I rang the farmer and got no reply. I then had to run/ hobble 800+ yds to the farm buildings to inform him what had happened.

Ambulance arrived and took him away.

Speaking with the farmer and the other old boy it transpired the following.

I know we all think we are the MACHO man sometimes, but you never know what or if can happen.

I managed to get his, licence, shotgun and jeep keys off the ambulance man and gave them all to the farmer.

1 neither of them had a mobile.
2 nobody actually knew exactly where they were shooting.
3 neither of them had a GUN ICE CARD.

Farmer said if myself and the old boy had not been there, the man who collapsed could have been laying there all day in the sunshine and possibly all night.

This can also happen when you are out lamping solo. As you all know you very rarely stop in the same spot all night.

****Food for thought folks. ****

I have a card hanging up in my jeep at all times.

post-1062-0-33348800-1438368272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Topgunners

Update.!!!!!!

Due to the fact he was conscious I managed to get his home number and called his wife to tell her. Unfortunately she is disabled and in a wheelchair and couldn't drive. I offered to go to her house and take her to the hospital but she said a neighbour would take her.

www.gun-ice.co.uk. The price per unit is about £3 or £3.50 which includes ID card, wallet, lanyard and P&P

Nice one Marki

What an alarming story, it was a good job you were there to take charge, any delay could have been very serious.

I hope the chap is OK.

The card is a great idea, like most people I tend to leave all my "paperwork" in my motor, which is as far away from where I am shooting as possible.

A card on a lanyard would work.

I will move this post to increase its exposure.

Update.!!!!!!

Due to the fact he was conscious I managed to get his home number and called his wife to tell her.

Unfortunately she is disabled and in a wheelchair and couldn't drive. I offered to go to her house and take her to the hospital but she said a neighbour would take her.

www.gun-ice.co.uk. The price per unit isabout £3 or £3.50 which includes ID card, wallet, lanyard and P&P

There is a minor problem and flaw with this idea. If the guy or anyone is on their own and either they are hurt or overcome by a problem then having a bit of paper with you name and address aint going to help you. the mobile phone is the main contact help line. I have thought about this many times in the past when I didn't have a mobile and was out on my own night shooting and it was a time of night when she had gone to bed anyway. It came home to me a couple of times, once when I tripped over into a ditch and another when the bank of a river that I was walking very close to gave way. Both times I got away with it but both could have resulted in a fatal situation. another situation that I encountered was when a person was out on the land with a lamp trying to find me. I dont know where this might have ended up with a personal confrontation but I went black and I knew the ground a lot better than he did and as such there was no personal confrontation of any sort. mobile phone and whistle >> IF you are able to use them. Nothing wrong with the contact info though. At least they would know who you were if you were found as stiff as a board.

Well done, a good deed done, I agree with the cards and have just googled to find one.... whilst doing this I found the I.C.E. app for my phone... this allows you to put all your ICE details on your lock screen. This would serve you where ever your are (not just shooting) as emergency services struggle to get into most modern phones to find your ICE contact.

I work for a mobile phone manufacturer who focuses on the 65+ market. All our devices have an assistance button on the back and an ICE entry. I won't name our brand as i don't want this to look like an advert but i take one of our cheaper models with me when i am out on my own for the same reason as above.

I was dragging a deer out once against the clock as it was getting dark, towards the end of the drag my heart was almost in my throat and was sweating like nothing on earth, I did think "what would happen if I keeled over now?" apart from the meat going off of course ;)

Good idea about the cards, and as the others have said, well done for helping this chap out.