Driven days on your own.

As per the title really.

This year I have booked on to a few different commercial shoots, some I'll be shooting with pals and one or two i'm just a single gun making up a team.

As the season is fast approaching, I thought i would ask what can I expect on the "single" days.

I'm aware of some of the pitfalls -

The other guns shooting all of the bag and I don't get to pull the trigger (the days i have booked are 150+ bird days so i'm hopeful that I should get one or two birds flying over me, It's down to me to hit them :lol: )

A bill at the end of the day to cover overage (the shoots I've booked say they don't charge overage, so that shouldn't be a problem but you never know :/ )

Not getting on with the other guns - I'm quite social and have a broad sense of humor ;):lol:

I have attended a number of small bag days as either a invited guest or for reasonable amounts of money as a single gun over the last few seasons and thoroughly enjoyed them, hence why I have booked these days.

I just thought I would ask of others experiences as single guns to keep me worried entertained until my first day next month.

I take a number of days every season as a single gun.

No matter what others may be doing around you keep up good standards of safety and sportsmanship. If others are poaching your birds have a quiet word rather than resorting to retaliatory tactics. The shoot host should see for himself what is going on.

You may not be the only single gun on the day. If you are you should still make your presence felt amongst the others by joining in conversations and perhaps telling a few stories about your shooting exploits. However never brag about your prowess.

I know that you have a good dog. If the dog is invited ensure that she behaves well.

Thanks JDog. That's all good advice :good:

Dogs are welcome on my first 2 days but she is due her season sometime around then. Needless to say she will not be accompanying me on thoes days :(

Safety standards go without saying. I have shot with others where I have felt very uncomfortable about there safety standards and had a quiet word with them and the host for the day. All happily sorted and the day was great :good:

Engaging in conversation shouldn't be a problem for me, I've been told I have a way with words :whistling::lol: and I haven't got that many stories to be worried about "one upmanship"

I'm looking forward to the days very much.

Thanks for your advice, greatly appreciated :good:

I normal have a number of days as a single gun days and have never had to much or a problem with the other guns, some you will like other you get on with. On one shoot four of us that started out as single guns now book the same day each season so now friends. I would agree with everything above, make sure the birds you are shooting are sporting, you are safe and friendly to everyone including the beaters and picker ups, its expensive so make sure you have a good day even if others don't.

I normal have a number of days as a single gun days and have never had to much or a problem with the other guns, some you will like other you get on with. On one shoot four of us that started out as single guns now book the same day each season so now friends. I would agree with everything above, make sure the birds you are shooting are sporting, you are safe and friendly to everyone including the beaters and picker ups, its expensive so make sure you have a good day even if others don't.

This is something I have always done as I feel the lads and lasses beating and picking up are the ones working hard to make sure myself and the other guns have a good day. I always try and shake the hands as and say thank you to them all. Manners cost nothing after all.

The keeper has always had the special handshake of course ;)

I've had some of my best days in the field doing things this way. New people, new places, wonderful countryside. You've hit the nail on the head with several of your observations and Jdog and co have some good points too. Safe, sociable, discreet, fair and polite. A good knowledge of how the day is financed and the contingencies is important because at the end of the day this is a complicated and expensive transaction. Sometimes when faced with a group of guns who are offered more and are keen to take it things can be a bit socially intimidating if you don't want to. I just say I've had a good day's sport and I'm now looking forward to a meal etc.

As JDog says a discreet word if there are problems is the way ahead. I was on a great patridge day down in Dorset a couple of years ago and two slightly elderly gentlemen were present. A young, keen (greedy let's say) gun was taking pretty much anything that flew their way and the older gents were just a bit slower to see and move. Lagging behind on the walk to the next drive gave me a chance to have a word with keeper and hey presto Mr Keen found himself in an equally busy but incredibly taxing position well away from the other two. It made my day to see the mood of the older guys improve as they got their fare share of the action. I thought it was beautifully handled by the keeper! Chatting to the older guys over dinner that evening proved just how small a world it can be!

I hope you have a great season!

Edited by LeadWasp

I go, I shoot, I go home.

If I didn't enjoy it I don't go back.

I'm basically a loner so it doesn't bother me much what the others are like.

If they want to natter that's fine - If they don't then it's no problem either.

If I wanted all the camaraderie and bonhomie then I'd stick to my usual syndicate.

I go to shoot over a new place.

If I can't take my best mate - Merlyn the yellow lab - Then I wouldn't go at all.

Enjoy...