Simple pleasure's...

ditchman

from time to time i hang around Acle sale buying rubbish, fiddling with it and selling it on for extra pocket money....Last year i found and paid £7.00 for this old Tecumsa (american engine) found it in a cardboard box in bits...the carb' was in bits and the flywheel off...so like a fool i bought it..as it had compression..(very high compression...thought it had hydraulic lock !)

Yesterday morning ..i had a free day and screwed it down on the bench (in my cave)...took the very dirty points off (yes it has points !) cleaned and filed them, set them and wiped the sticky/gluey grease off the cam and replaced it with vasiline....cleaned and put the flywheel back on...then cleaned the carb' made a pin out of a bit of brazeing rod for the float hanger, polished the 2 needles in the jets and assembled it....then made a new set of guvnor links out of gas welding rod and replaced a missing guvnor spring....jobs a gooden......lay a new sparkplug on the block cranked it over ...loverly blue spark......new engine oil....then rigged up a washing up liquid fuel tank added fuel....ready to go ...MOMENT OF TRUTH!!

fuel was coming out of the carb BIG STYLE !...so carb' off....bloody hole in the brass float...found the hole drilled it out...sanded it and soldered it ...put it back together again.............first pull it just sucked and wheezed...second pull BANG ! backed off the choke.. 1/4 throttle.. pull well boy that was shaking the shed down ...the dogs ran for it clouds of smoke...old women screaming in the street...you know the scene......it was running as rough as a dismantled gasometer in a sack....screwed the slow running jet it until it sounded better and started to lean up the mixture...my eyes were watering ...coughing my guts up...but all of a sudden it come good as the right mixture was acheived....then i dropped the revs on the butterfly stop and got it ticking over at about 70 RPM....it was beautiful...you could here the valves opening and closing and things wirring in the well oiled cranckcase.....................RESULT the engine i rekon is 35 years old and it runs like a sewing machine.......

i aint got a clue what to do with it.......it will fit the big Acto mower ive got about the same age...but i have a good engine on that.........i will hang on to it for a while and run it up now and again...beyond that ..dont know at the moment !

Brilliant result , love the Man Cave and Test Bed, real engineering. We once had a Land Rover 21/2 litre engine running on a pallet in the workshop sent back from Iran as a none runner. Simular set up free standing radiator , gallon can fuel tank.

I have a simular engine in the shed . Future project.

Small boat engine ? dont know what the hp is, but it might make lovely quiet engine for a small open classic broads or Thames boat, the old open oyster boats in Mersea Essex used to use a petrol engine for quietness, I presume its air cooled so no complicated cooling, nice job by the way

Small boat engine ? dont know what the hp is, but it might make lovely quiet engine for a small open classic broads or Thames boat, the old open oyster boats in Mersea Essex used to use a petrol engine for quietness, I presume its air cooled so no complicated cooling, nice job by the way

this engine is a real "thumper" ive yet to find out what size it is........it is a real bitch to pull start....starts very easily but it has a hell of a lot of compression and a very heavy flywheel.....

I've a old villiers from 1940s it has never run from New the old man down the road gave it to me 25 years ago still in its box from New take it out now and then to turn it over still sparks lovely little motor

is it a static engine ?....when i was doing my apprentiship on the farm we had and old Villers engine on the conveyor for making tall stacks.....the engine on more than one occasion caught fire !!........just used to chuck dust and your water bottle over it...let it cool down for 20 mins and off it would go again !!

narrow boat !

not big enuff for that...for a narrow boat it really needs to be water cooled............

lawn mower racer!!!!

when i blip the throttle it sounds like a 500cc Norton !!

******* awesome! if the compression is that high could you convert it to run on alcohol? blast that'd rip! my father has a collection of statics, they just go pop, pop, plop, i'm itching to pimp one of his tractors into a drag racer :lol:

if i could find another 29 of them i would couple them together and go tractor pulling !!!....."and here comes ditchman on his custom made V30 Tecumsa"....only in norfolk !!