Running/ Jogging with the Dog

e2000e2000e

Make sure you keep her on grass when you run as she won't have impact absorbing trainers on.

Work up distances gradually and watch for overheating.

Don't overdo it with her as you could cause joint problems especially as she is still very young.

A lot will also depend on if she is a slinky Labrador or a shorter legged heavier set one as to how much she will cope with as in the field they only run in short bursts.

My wife runs with my spaniel and he loves it, tail wagging when she is ready to go and goes out without any hesitation at all, it has not changed the way he goes about his gundog work in the slightest. Maybe I should run as well and lose a bit of weight( then again maybe not).

S

If you're a bit on the large side (as am I!) it's safe to say you won't be off at a blistering pace for 10 miles?

Chances are your running pace will be a brisk trot for the dog and a few miles of that will help the dog's fitness in advance of the shooting season.

Just be sensible, it's a good way to build fitness in you both. She is still quite young so I wouldn't overdo it until she's over 2, just my gut feeling, and if you get the running bug I wouldn't take her training for your first marathon.