Huge bags and no pictures of pigeons

malkiserow

Well on Sunday I set up, it was a textbook set up and the pigeons were decoying superbly, it was windy, I was right under a flightline and they were mad for eating the barley. My layout was working just as it should, I'd see them in the distance, they would come in swoop down and attempt to land then bang........ If Carling did pigeon days, this was the master brewers centenary special. Cracking I thought. Life is good.

It was about 10 minutes in and I had a proud 7 in the bag (sorry no pictures, I beg you to trust my haul).

Then the phone rang, it was Mr Farmer, "can you help out corn carting? "

So then I had 8 hours of this....

IMG_2722_zps0ikwjw52.jpg

Reversing these things........ oh boy that is another story.

IMG_2724_zpsijtoduj8.jpg

So the huge bags ............. well those were just under my eyes as I was well and truly knackered.

Still all was not lost as I went back and had this wee fella ....

IMG_2729_zpsf4ux0dfm.jpg

There will be another day for the pigeons........ and it is nice to pay back the farmer for his generosity especially when he really needs it to get the harvest in.

Edited by malkiserow

You will be rewarded for your assistance.

I fancy corn carting. The problem is the last time I drove one it was a little grey Fergie. Nowadays tractors are five times as big with lots of dials and gadgets which I will never understand.

Good pics

I love helping out with the harvest, tractors now are so advanced a pleasure to drive for long hours..

What did you despatch Mr Fox with ?

A 275 Rigby very neat isn't it. 120 grain running nice and slow. I did not have any of my 70grn blitzkings made up for .243 so I took the small (ish) deer gun.

That was the best tractor.... the others shook the bones!

I fancy corn carting. The problem is the last time I drove one it was a little grey Fergie. Nowadays tractors are five times as big with lots of dials and gadgets which I will never understand.

I know what you mean..... to change gear you press a button up and down. One has a picture of a tortoise on it the other a hare. I eventually worked it out :lol:

Snap! Some of the early ones had an odd starter mechanism worked from the gear stick.

Blackpowder

i would of been gutted if it happened to me ive had a few days out spoilt by machines turning up in the field over the years not worru rough with the smooth as they say.

i would of been gutted if it happened to me ive had a few days out spoilt by machines turning up in the field over the years not worru rough with the smooth as they say.

not to worry lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Snap! Some of the early ones had an odd starter mechanism worked from the gear stick.

Blackpowder

I'm sure others on here will remember the Petrol/TVO engines which had to be started on petrol, switched over to TVO when warmed up and switched back to petrol before turning off.

If you forgot, as I did a couple of times, to switch back to petrol, the thing wouldn't start the next day and you suffered the wrath of the farmer. Happy days.

Things are much different today and can with a GPS programme, be left to run on auto pilot automatically adjusting the level of fertiliser etc.etc. !!

I have enough trouble operating my mobile phone, so a modern tractor would be well beyond my technicalogical abilities.

Remember working on a farm as a lad (general farmhand, dogsbody, stock, tractors, grain etc)

My favourites were the Nuffields, as they had fantastic hydraulics, good torque, but did vibrate badly, so the exhaust stacks broke off every 2-3 months LOL.

We had an old MF65 as well as newer MF178, MF175, MF165, and MF135, plus a David Brown selectamatic and a SAME

Our new "professional" tractor driver turns up, and after about 3 months, middle of winter, he has to use the old 65 and can't start it.

After much trying (you had to short the starter motor with a spanner or other metal object) he had flattened the battery, so asked me to tow him. I got one of the Nuffields and towed him up and down the yard, up and don the road, and NOTHING. I gave him a can of "easy start" ether spray, and it was trying to start. So bled the whole system, but still wouldn't keep running without the ether.

So I suggested he let me try, and he tow me. So, on I get and BRRRRRRRMMMMMMM on the first 5 metres of the tow :)

The "professional" had forgotten to push the stop cable back in LOL

Edited by Redditch

I'm sure others on here will remember the Petrol/TVO engines which had to be started on petrol, switched over to TVO when warmed up and switched back to petrol before turning off.

If you forgot, as I did a couple of times, to switch back to petrol, the thing wouldn't start the next day and you suffered the wrath of the farmer. Happy days.

Things are much different today and can with a GPS programme, be left to run on auto pilot automatically adjusting the level of fertiliser etc.etc. !!

I have enough trouble operating my mobile phone, so a modern tractor would be well beyond my technicalogical abilities.

Yes we used to ride three or four up on the old fordson majors with one passenger delegated to leap of and switch from TVO back to petrol at about 100 yards from the steading. Health and Safety? It must have been unknown in the 50's.

Blackpowder