Photo

land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

day 1 pictures

• Please log in to reply
3824 replies to this topic

#3821 Lord O War

Lord O War
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 21-August 13

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 PM

For the red wire on the towing socket please don't leave it like that.
Just use a short piece of wire to bridge it

What he said, that's a fire waiting to happen!

Cut the wire back and re strip the end and put it in the hole you need and just cut another short piece and strip both ends and use that as the link wire. Try to have it so the sheathing on the wires is just below the surface and you don't have exposed cores above.

By essentially halving the number of strands in the wire you create a point where you get high resistance and so heat then potentially a fire. Also, I cannot tell from the pic, if you have the sheathing cut back a long way the exposed cores may touch one of the other terminals and short and cause... you guessed it, a fire or at least melty wires.

Edited by Lord O War, Yesterday, 09:33 PM.

#3822 viking

viking
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5062 posts
  • Joined 07-October 07

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

if that is making smoke like that the injector pump is TOO FAR ADVANCED....that means it is injecting toooo late.....aqnd you are getting what is called partial combustion.....

remerdy...

1. locate arrow on the injector pump
  2. slaken off all the pipe unions...(only slaken)
  3. put a mark on the block and the injector pump
  4. slacken off injector pump
  5. turn the injector pump back 3mm....(the opposite direction of the arrow)
  6. tighten up all unions
  7. heaters
  8. no accelerator (until it fires)
  9. start...............

do it........it should not smoke like that...

just sent my mate this, his reply was..

interesting, i have advanced the timing a good 3 degrees from original, surly if you advance the timing it will inject sooner not later.

What he said, that's a fire waiting to happen!

Cut the wire back and re strip the end and put it in the hole you need and just cut another short piece and strip both ends and use that as the link wire. Try to have it so the sheathing on the wires is just below the surface and you don't have exposed cores above.

By essentially halving the number of strands in the wire you create a point where you get high resistance and so heat then potentially a fire. Also, I cannot tell from the pic, if you have the sheathing cut back a long way the exposed cores may touch one of the other terminals and short and cause... you guessed it, a fire or at least melty wires.

ah i see, im sure i can cut a bit of wire and do that, and when i cut it all down i will be sure to just strip back as far as i need to to get the wire in, thanks, and to you to jaymo :good:  :good:  :good:

#3823 viking

viking
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5062 posts
  • Joined 07-October 07

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 PM

only short videos as i didnt realise he was starting it, 

.https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#3824 ditchman

ditchman
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6659 posts
  • Joined 18-March 08

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

he is quite right.....if you advance the timing it will inject just before top dead centre....when you have maximum pressure in the bore....if it is injecting too late the bore pressure is starting to drop very quickly....hence the smoke..........

it is common that if you set the timing to the factory spec it still can be a toothe out...thats why you have the ability to set the final timing on the pump....even with my more modern turbo-desiel i have to do this................you know when you have the right timing as it starts easy.....BUT....if you advance it toooo much then the engine will clatter......so do it by ear....to get the rigtht set point you may have to alter the timing chain to give you the right space on the injector pump......

if you have honed the bores it will also smoke for a bit until the new rings cut their own seats.............

your mate is right in what he says....but im telling you now it shouldnt be smoking like that.............. :good:  :good:

cant veiw the video as it is private...

Edited by ditchman, Yesterday, 10:22 PM.

#3825 viking

viking
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5062 posts
  • Joined 07-October 07

Posted Yesterday, 10:24 PM

cheers simon i will show him this, its a shame you live so far away, and the bores were honed,  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

snarepeg