Picking a pup

maxwell

Hi All

I will be picking a pup from a litter from my cocker spaniel in the next few weeks, as this will be a first for me I would like some advice please on what to look for in a pup that hopefully will become a good shooting companion. I understand there are no guarantees and I will only get out what I am willing to put into training from this partnership, thank you

Maxwell

It's really down to personal preference , but I have always gone for the boldest pup , the one that take the most interest in you .

With cockers it may also come down to what colour you would like I guess if there are a few different ones in the litter.

I have Labradors if I buy one in I normally pick the smallest bitch in the litter.If I keep one I have bred I let my Mrs choose.A few years ago I wanted a fox red bitch, only one in my litter.I gave her away as a pet to a friend at 2 years old had no interest in retrieving at 2.Last litter my mrs decided that a chocolate bitch was the one to keep she is now 5 and a cracking dog.

Pick the one you personally like.If you have a certain colour in mind stick to it.

Don`t pick the first one to come up to you take your time and you will not regret your choice.

Like you say you only get out of a dog what you are prepared to put in.

Don`t be one of those that blame their dogs when it is the lack of commitment shown to training them.

It's really down to personal preference , but I have always gone for the boldest pup , the one that take the most interest in you .

With cockers it may also come down to what colour you would like I guess if there are a few different ones in the litter.

go with that..............

Jo Irving said take all the pups away from the dam at a few weeks old and see which one she picks first to take back first and have that one....

I picked one in five minutes because he was pulling at my shoe laces and running around like a nutter.

I ran a couple on for a while until I really made my mind up....

I took them both for walks where they could run riot and have a swim in a local pond - both swim really well so no decider there.

I took them to Brid sea front so they could walk among the crowds and listen the the noises of the funfair - both not fazed and wagged tails throughout.

In the end it came down to me having a closer bond with the dog (the bitch liked my missus) and since I'm the one that works them I kept the dog.

It's difficult to pick, but if all are pretty bombproof when it comes to noise, I'd go for the one that wants to be with me - not in a clingy way, but one that wants to see what I'm doing.