Jasper on his second birthday.

JDog

It was with some trepidation that I decided to go for a spaniel having had Labradors for forty years. Over that time I have seen some completely mad spaniels and I thought that I may be confined to the same category if I got one.

Apologies if I have told this story before but I found him on a 'pre loved' website which was an inauspicious start. When I went to see him at five weeks old I was greeted at the door of the house by a tattooed lady whose breasts were prominent and adorned with slogans of various kinds. I was too polite to read them properly. Her husband was tattooed too and had a shaven head and earrings.

Throughout my life I have prided myself on 'first instincts'. In this case I could not have been more wrong. They were really very nice people who loved their dogs. They took it in turns to sleep downstairs to feed the pups at regular intervals through the night and all veterinary matters were up to date. The bitch was in great condition so soon after producing the litter of five.

Jasper came home at eight weeks and he has barely put a foot wrong since. He is very affectionate, biddable, obedient, willing to please and he has a great nose. I doubt that I have spent more than ten hours training him in total but he is rock steady and returns at the very first peep on the whistle. I hope to enjoy his company for many years to come. I suspect that he will outlast me by a long chalk.

DSC06417.jpg