2015 Toyota Hilux Invincible X or 2015 Defender 90/110 ?

OJW

I've always wanted a defender but recently a friend bough a Toyota Hilux Invincible X and I loved it. I was just wondering what peoples opinions on Hilux Invincible X vs the Defender are?

It would be used both in rural and non rural areas.

I really liked the interior of the Hilux, it felt comfortable and you get a decent Nav system, rear view parking cameras ect with it, however the interior of the defender is more basic. The Hilux also drives nicely and I've been warned that you "really have to drive" a defender constantly changing though the gears ect.

What would you go for and why?

You need to drive them both then make your mind up, one of my farmers has had Defenders for year's until his last one was stolen. He replaced it with a 64 plate hilux and he has regretted it ever since. He thinks its that bad he uses his wife's range rover to pull his large cattle trailer as the hilux just spins unless he fills the back with cattle feed which renders the pickup useless. Both vehicle's fitted with factory tyres.

You need to drive them both then make your mind up, one of my farmers has had Defenders for year's until his last one was stolen. He replaced it with a 64 plate hilux and he has regretted it ever since. He thinks its that bad he uses his wife's range rover to pull his large cattle trailer as the hilux just spins unless he fills the back with cattle feed which renders the pickup useless. Both vehicle's fitted with factory tyres.

Tell your farmer to put it in 4 wheel drive!! Its the other little stick by the gear stick!

edit: dont know what tyres the Defender is fitted with, but the Hilux has factory fitted Road tyres.

Edited by silver pigeon69

Definitely faulty and on **** tyres. It's a harder choice than you think as its a new defender so depreciation will be low and it will be in warranty so a reasonable tool. If you do long distances and it's more on road than off buy the Toyota. If the other way round you can take a punt on a defender knowing it will be easy to sell for silly money down the line as there are lots of people who want to scratch the landrover itch

You might find it difficult getting a new Defender as I heard that all the production has been pre-ordered. I would get a Hilux anyway. Part of the problem is that Defenders always come with chunky tyres and you need to order them with a Hilux.

David.

I bought a new hilux 3.0 invincible on April cAnt really fault it ! Tows 2 tonne regularly and tows better than the discovery 1 and 2 I'd had previously 28 mpg average not as comfy on B roads as a disco but a lot comfort than a defender. If your wanting something for just a vehicle with loads of rough off road id go defender if not hilux all the way

Have a look at the Isuzu D-max.Utar I have had two and am well pleased. excellent off road and good on roads. I do 25000 miles per annum and it averages 34 -36. On the motorway it will do 40 to the gallon. It has the sat nav and reversing camera, cruise control etc.

The latest Defenders have eye watering Road Fund Licence (tax).

I'd go for a TD5.

Oh I dunno about that. Ive just (today) got a 2012 Defender 2.2 TDCI and its on £225 road tax for 12 months because its classed as a commercial vehicle :)

OP, as others have said, if its mainly road use then get the hilux for comfort but if its sheer off roading ability you want then go for the defender! BTW defenders are going to hold their value much better in my opinion as they have now ceased making them because they arent crash friendly to pedestrians :)