Magnet Running Too Slow

Wasabi

For a while I have thought my magnet has been running too slow. When comparing it to a friends this was confirmed. His does about 40 Rpm and mine about 28. I thought my battery had had it so tried a new one but it's the same. Any ideas how to speed it up? I don't use a speed controller on it.

Almost certainly rust. I posted a discussion about this a couple of months back.

Take the motor / gearbox unit OFF the frame, then remove the back plate off the gearbox, then remove the circlip at the front from the shaft, and knock the shaft out of the gearbox (towards the back) with the main gear.

You will find the shaft and its housing are fully rust (almost certainly, as their is no seal, and being vertical water gets in, and sits there when you pack up)

Now get some emery cloth or a wire brush, and remove all the rust from the shaft. Get some emery cloth on the handle of a tooth brush, or on some wooden Downing, and clean the rust out of the shaft housing.

Next spray a little WD40 or diesel into the shaft, and push some kitchen roll through it to remove the bits of rust left.

NOW, pack the shaft housing, and cover the shaft with some heavy duty GREASE.

Pushe the shaft back in aligning the gear in the gearbox, and replace the circlip on the shaft.

Next PACK the gearbox with extra grease,and replace the rear cover.

Now replace into the frame and switch on, and that should have cured the problem.

IF it doesn't cure the problem, then you just have a slow motor / gearbox unit (some do use slower ones, ideal for crow, but not for pigeon), and the only cure then, is just use it for crow, or get a faster motor / gearbox for it.

Use a speed controller

Using a speed controller on a slow motor/gearbox unit won't make it faster, will only facilitate making it slower.

Also, if he has rust in the motor/gearbox unit, the extra power drawn trying to overcome the friction of the rust, would cause the speed controller to burn out.

A speed controller will not speed up a magnet, it can only slow it down.

If its the usual window wiper motor type magnet, check to see if there are a number of spade connectors, these (usually) control two speeds for the magnet. You can try moving the wires to see if that helps.

If you get stuck, see if you can post a picture of the connectors.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

Right then! I took the motor to bits last night and the bearing at the bottom of the housing was dry and making a right noise. I greased it and put it all back together. I then used it today and it is going faster and shot 55 on a rape stubble! When packing up the electric motor housing was very hot. Is that normal? Never noticed it before.

A speed controller will not speed up a magnet, it can only slow it down.

If its the usual window wiper motor type magnet, check to see if there are a number of spade connectors, these (usually) control two speeds for the magnet. You can try moving the wires to see if that helps.

If you get stuck, see if you can post a picture of the connectors.

Cos

+1 Edited by Dbw1shrops

several of you may have seen my attempt of making a geared magnet................well i have almost finished it now...it is running at 40rpm and an 8.6" diameter swing which will give it a decent perifery speed...i have aluminuin pigeons cutouts on it painted by the famous artist....(moi)....and i will be giving it its first outing this coming week....being a manual flapper man...i datesay i will be asking for a few pointers from you magnet men.............

several of you may have seen my attempt of making a geared magnet................well i have almost finished it now...it is running at 40rpm and an 8.6" diameter swing which will give it a decent perifery speed...i have aluminuin pigeons cutouts on it painted by the famous artist....(moi)....and i will be giving it its first outing this coming week....being a manual flapper man...i datesay i will be asking for a few pointers from you magnet men.............

First magnet tip , dont use aluminium cut outs of pigeons on it , use err pigeons :whistling: