First migrant duck arriving

anser2

I was up on the North Norfolk coast this morning and the first reasonable numbers of teal were in. There have been 6 or 7 about for several weeks , but today I counted 90 on a couple of pools just inland of the sea wall. Mallard numbers were starting to pick up too from 50 last week to over 90 today , but these will be localy bred birds. Still a few moulting mallard ( 7) about not able to fly , but most were strong on the wing. Only one brood of tufted and they will be another week before they are flying. Plenty of flying gadwall and odd shoveller and pochard. No sign of any wigeon or pintail yet, but they cant be far away. Greylag numbers were well down for the time of year , but the breeding season was very late this year so many are likely to be on the breeding marshes still. Also a small flock of 7 canadas , but they are gettting very scarce around here after being put on the pest list a few years ago.

Two weeks to go before the season opens , but things are looking a little more promising than they did a while ago.

Edited by anser2

I was up on the North Norfolk coast this morning and the first reasonable numbers of teal were in. There have been 6 or 7 about for several weeks , but today I counted 90 on a couple of pools just inland of the sea wall. Mallard numbers were starting to pick up too from 50 last week to over 90 today , but these will be localy bred birds. Still a few moulting mallard ( 7) about not able to fly , but most were strong on the wing. Only one brood of tufted and they will be another week before they are flying. Plenty of flying gadwall and odd shoveller and pochard. No sign of any wigeon or pintail yet, but they cant be far away. Greylag numbers were well down for the time of year , but the breeding season was very late this year so many are likely to be on the breeding marshes still. Also a small flock of 7 canadas , but they are gettting very scarce around here after being put on the pest list a few years ago.

Two weeks to go before the season opens , but things are looking a little more promising than they did a while ago.

You need to come and shoot the local park ponds and the cuts around here, hundreds of the damned things. :lol:

Matt, very small numbers of pintail stay in this country and have been recorded breeding on the Ouse Washes. I suspect thats where your pintail may have come from though some wildfowling clubs have been releasing them around the Wash too. I shot one with a WAGBI ring on Kings Lynn marsh back in the 1980s and it was released at Holbeach.. Late July is a little too early for migrants from Northern Europe to arrive.

Its not unusual for the first few wigeon to arrive in Mid August on the north Norfolk coast. Some years there can be several hundred in by the last week of the month. On several occasions wigeon have been my first duck of the season on September 1st. But the main arrivals start in the 3rd\4th week of September through to early November.

Its not unusual for the first few wigeon to arrive in Mid August on the north Norfolk coast. Some years there can be several hundred in by the last week of the month in places such as Cley reserve. On several occasions wigeon have been my first duck of the season on September 1st. But the main arrivals start in the 3rd\4th week of September through to early November.

I count the wildfowl on a small marsh just inland of the sea wall on the N Norfolk coast and the past 6 August's numbers have been as follows.

2010 = 2

2011 = 6

2012 = 14

2013 = 59

2014 = 10

2015 = 3 so far

Edited by anser2