Unwelcome Visitor

HIDENSEEK

Saw a good number of pigeon & black 'uns on some barley stubble on my recce yesterday.Set up on the flightline with my back against a strip of woodland. Light wind from behind, overcast but shirt sleeve weather. Made myself comfortable in a roomy net hide, flocked shells on the stubble which was rising away from me. Birds started to come back as soon as I had the gun out of the sleeve, got the first 8 with 8 shots,VERY good start (for me!)

Replaced the shells with dead birds on cradles, set up the flapper with timer to the front/side of the pattern & enjoyed the spectacle of pigeon coming down the flightline & for the most part decoying properly.Still had some testing shots & 3 doubles,it was almost a dream. THEN I spotted a face peering over the hedge on the farm access road which is also a footpath, although little used.I had obviously kept an eye on this because occassionaly a rider or rambler will use it, and at about 80 yards from the hide, still potentially dangerous.I unloaded the gun, stood up & waved to let the face know I had seen it, & went out to tidy up the pattern.THEN a lady(?)marched across the field to the decoys, without a word produced her phone & proceeded to take close up pictures of the flapper(I think she thought I had a tethered bird!) the dead birds on cradles, my hide and my handsome good self.I recovered my composure and enquired politely what she was doing, got a tirade of questions about what I was doing(!)whether I had permission, why I was shooting birds etc etc. I explained about controlling numbers/crop damage/why I was controlling pigeon on a stubble field rather than the standing crop etc.etc. and eventually she grumbled off. Maybe I should have just told her where to go straight away, but maybe at least she wont bother another shooter. What I do know is she spoilt MY day. If you're interested in the figures I shot from 1 until 6.30pm, used 117 cartridges for 59 pigeon picked & 12 black 'uns.Hopefully attach picture.P8130004_zpshiyoizcl.jpg

I've edited my post. I don't care what the answer is. I just want to know it.

It shouldn't be contentious but alas it is.

As a general rule pigeon find a feeding ground and stick to it, like most animals, so once the land is cultivated and drilled they'll return.

Also it's the only sure fire way of getting the local population down quickly, as many people won't shoot over standing crops, it can cause more damage trying to retrieve birds than the birds have done themselves and you'd lose pricked birds every time without a dog.

It shouldn't be contentious but alas it is.

As a general rule pigeon find a feeding ground and stick to it, like most animals, so once the land is cultivated and drilled they'll return.

Also it's the only sure fire way of getting the local population down quickly, as many people won't shoot over standing crops, it can cause more damage trying to retrieve birds than the birds have done themselves and you'd lose pricked birds every time without a dog.

Thank you for that. That is all that I was after.

My last admirer stood on a nearby lane and banged two metal saucepans together to scare off the pigeons, I just kept on shooting , the pigeons kept coming, had to pack up eventually as a load of big blokes arrived to clear the bales off the field, didnt think they would appreciate my presence so I had to move. did manage 13 through all the disturbances. :lol::lol:

For my benefit, why do you shoot over stubble?

This is a genuine question. Please can someone pm me if it's a contentious issue.

My personal reason for shooting the stubble is that 1.) I can pick up what I shoot without damaging the crop, both of which is important to me 2.) I can get to my chosen spot a bit easier (usually). 3.) I enjoy shooting the stubble, & keep the farmer happy, 'cos if I don't, someone else will!

Congrats on a good day out and maintaining your cool with your visitor, it might be worth mentioning it to the farmer, in case she knocks on his door.

I had a woman march 200 yards across a rape field, convinced that my hypa flaps were tethered live pigeons on the rotary.

I was polite, stopped the machine and showed her the decoys and she apologised, but as she was leaving she told me she had already phoned the police.

She cleared off and I had to walk to the other side of the field and explain to the police, who turned up about 30 minutes after she was gone.

They understood what I was doing , but weren't too happy she had left and said they were going round to have a chat with her.

Congrats on a good day out and maintaining your cool with your visitor, it might be worth mentioning it to the farmer, in case she knocks on his door.

I had a woman march 200 yards across a rape field, convinced that my hypa flaps were tethered live pigeons on the rotary.

I was polite, stopped the machine and showed her the decoys and she apologised, but as she was leaving she told me she had already phoned the police.

She cleared off and I had to walk to the other side of the field and explain to the police, who turned up about 30 minutes after she was gone.

They understood what I was doing , but weren't too happy she had left and said they were going round to have a chat with her.

I didn't mention it in the original post, 'cos to be honest I feel a bit foolish. I offered her the farmers name & 'phone no, & immediately realised I could have given him some early morning abusive calls (yeah, I know, my brain wasn't in gear).I asked for her name & 'phone no ( a sort of "you show me yours,and I'll show you mine!").She gave me a name & number,& I 'phoned the farmer as soon as she was out of earshot, he was very good about it, called the number to straighten her out, but it was a fake number. He hasn't had any problem yet, & hopefully that's the end of it.

I didn't mention it in the original post, 'cos to be honest I feel a bit foolish. I offered her the farmers name & 'phone no, & immediately realised I could have given him some early morning abusive calls (yeah, I know, my brain wasn't in gear).I asked for her name & 'phone no ( a sort of "you show me yours,and I'll show you mine!").She gave me a name & number,& I 'phoned the farmer as soon as she was out of earshot, he was very good about it, called the number to straighten her out, but it was a fake number. He hasn't had any problem yet, & hopefully that's the end of it.

Fake number!! How pathetic......

Fake number!! How pathetic......

because she knew she was in the wrong

I got accused of shooting racing pigeons one day and if the farmer knew I was shooting by a guy who came over to me, after I explained I was shooting woodpigeons, and I,m in full view of the farm of course he knows I,m here if you want to go over to the farm and see him hes in the yard as we speak, he declined

then carried banging on about how he had seen me shoot some racers again I explained the difference in the birds but was still convinced I had done I was getting nowhere with him so offered him to look at all the birds I had shot, again he declined and ended up walking away and I carried on shooting

I think that we are sometimes to tolerant of these tree huggers who will walk across private land to tell you that you are doing something wrong . They get short thrift from me and even shorter thrift from my farmer friend .

Harnser.

Edited by Harnser