magnet speed controller

oz.man64

I have built my own from bits obtained from Maplins (NO not the Holiday Camp!). They sell a speed controller for around £12 which I housed in a plastic box (Morrisons soup container). I included a 2 amp fuse and holder and the small croc clips (Maplins). All joints are soldered and the container painted with blackboard paint. I have taped a small zip lock bag with spare fuses, to the container. A word of advice, when using any speed controller, turn ON SLOWLY, to avoid a power surge and popping the fuse (hence the spare fuses). Having built my own magnet, I carry an old sponge bag with a zip top, inside is a small multi tool, roll of tape, electrical connector block, length of para cord and a spare croc clip. They weigh very little and can often save the day.

I used the one from A1 Decoys. Yes, after two years it melted, but they managed to find me another (despite no longer stocking sealand, they managed to get me one).

It burnt out because of resistance caused by rust in the rotor of the gearbox. Once all was cleaned and sorted, fitted the new speed controller and no more problems.

If you are blowing speed controllers, I would suggest you check the rotor for rust, and ensure the gearbox and rotor are well greased.

That usually cures the problem.

If I used my magnet without a speed controller, they would be bloody racing pigeons !

it matters not.

know all ...................so how do you stop the pigeons getting dizzy then......huh ?

I should have expected someone from the backwoods to be clueless in such things , a joyride tablet given to the pigeon 2 hrs before putting him on the magnet stops dizzyness and motion sickness.

it matters not.

I should have expected someone from the backwoods to be clueless in such things , a joyride tablet given to the pigeon 2 hrs before putting him on the magnet stops dizzyness and motion sickness.

thanks for the advice ...........oh silly me !

it matters not.

That and a chain dangling from the decoys feet to the ground to "earth" them, so preventing static build up which could cause motion sickness or aggravate it

They used to have that on all the cars in the 50's and 60's :)

Edited by Redditch

I think if I had a bloomin great metal spike up my ****, dizziness would be the least of my worries !

you would be rolling your eyes for sure.................(and making pretend noises that you were enjoying it !)

dont mean you yourself of coarse ...just generally speaking......

Bought one of these from that auction site

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-50V-40A-2000W-MAX-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-12V-24V-48V-UK-/331530690628?hash=item4d30c4e044

Only £8.88 so thought I'd give it a try.... tested it in the garage with a 17ah battery (no arms or birds on it) and it ran for 7h and was still going when I got home and was not even warm to the touch...So far so good...

This is one of cheap £2.75 flea bay speed controllers, came this morning, slows flapper right down for the crows!

Next to it is a old 3 speed car heater fan switch, gives me off and three speeds on the magnet and was free out of scrap car.post-14214-0-58584800-1440514766_thumb.jpg

Edited by Charlie1965

Have never counted. Only planning to use the little speed controller on the flapper as imagine my old homemade magnet would burn it out, as wiper motor is off old Vauxhall cavalier.

Will try doing some rpm counts next time I get out.

Nice looking speed controller you made up, will the next model have gears and a sequential shift gearstick 😄

Edited by Charlie1965