So frustrated with high 2

nicknsd1978

I'm finding high 2 so frustrating as I just seem to can't constantly hit it.....right handed shooter and right eye dominant. Been today for station practice on high 2 only and hit 12 out of 25. I just can't seem to master it. The ones I am hitting I'm thinking are a fluke more than skill. Mounting straight out from the base line and moving it to the right slightly. Keeping both eyes open I'm looking straight out beyond the end of the barrel....but it just isn't working

I set my feet facing the low house window. It's sounds like your hold point is good. I mount to the break point then wind back using my legs, not twisting my body then lower the gun from my shoulder. I look slightly left of the barrel straight out to the base line. Try and put your eyes on the exact height the bird comes past to pick it up early.

What lead picture do you see? I find I need to shoot right at the front edge of the target to break it or my gun speed carries me way out in front.

Edited by r813

By far the best thing to do is to either get a decent Skeet coach or just a clued up shooter to actually watch you shoot this, the problem will almost certainly be two or three things altogether. High 2 is I believe the bogey bird for many, I used to have trouble too and thinking back it was the head giving it more and more unwanted maintained type of lead which being a quartering bird won't be a good recipe, in fact in my experience when people continue missing a certain bird time after time it's usually too much lead that is the problem.

Assuming your stance/hold point/pick up is half way decent then you just shoot a few inches to the right of the bird with momentum.

There are many reasons to miss a target and the help over the internet many times won,t work.

However,from what you say I understand that your vision, in waiting position, is close to the barrel and the bird beats you all the timp .

There is a logic to that situation, having a narrow visual screen around the barrel, you see the bird late. Your reaction time from the moment of the bird

interception is not fast enough to catch the bird from behind.

Considering that your gun holding point is correct, move your eyes on the left of the barrel to see the bird early enough to react properly.

Keep the barrel in the peripheral vision and when you notice that the bird is close to the barrel match your gun speed with the bird.

Never let the bird to beat your barrel, (especially from the high house).

Good luck!

Edited by Orangeclay

as already said, watch Todd Benders video's they work well.

hold point 1/3 between house and centre peg, eyse back to the house, call and set off as soon as see bird, shoot an inch or two infront and you should be killing it before centre every time., point belly button at low house window for every peg except 7... assuming your right handed.

Hold point sounds ok to me but look to the left side of the barrels just turn the eyes not the head see clay coming so your maintaining your lead not reacting as it gets to your barrels then trying to add lead.

Hard (impossible) though to diagnose with out seeing you shoot.

This would be my guess also. If you look back more you will seem to have much more time.

Quite right. For some reason I thought he must have a left master eye. My reply IS what I do, anyway.

Exactly, it`s going to be a personal choice with no correct answer to the question. I keep both eyes open. That`s how I was told to shoot when I first started and doing anything else would now feel weird. It could be worth the OP giving it a go, proof of the pudding and all that. Having seen him shoot it definitely works for Motty.

I had this prob at one time,the problem was I was moving the gun back towards the high house

As I was calling for the bird then the clay was getting the jump on me .

Get someone to stand behind you and watch,I didn't know till someone told me

I just give myself a moment to hard focus before I call and shot it on the nose

You have more time on this target than you think so don't be to keen to snap shot it

I was not even aware I was moving the gun back till it was pointed out too me .and I have seen others do this too, so to start with your gun is moving in the opposite way to the clay

Just a thought worth having someone look

I was doing it on all the high birds on 2,3,4,