whats wrong with my poults?

Hi hope some one can help me, went to one of the pens tonight and at least 10-20 of the poults have there tail feathers bright red with blood and seem to be hopping to legged around the pen. All were fine yesterday when checked and have been drinking and eating well. They are 9 weeks old, were delivered on Saturday and split between two pens the other pen all seems fine. There are 180 birds in this pen so need to find the problem and sort quick. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. I have found one dead bird but this was a deformed one that was delivered with a wonky leg.

Yes, sounds like feather pecking.

How big is your pen.

You need to distract the birds with plenty of hanging greens, provide perches and cover to give them some respite. Provide sufficient feeding stations with good quality grub.

Also, catch up the victims and spray the wounds with teramicin blue spray, this will treat the wounds and disguise the red which poults will be attracted to.

My main concern is that the pen is not big enough.

I thought feather pecking but couldn't see any signs of damaged to the feathers but a bit difficult in the heavy rain also never seen that much blood on the tail feathers before. I have proberly over reacted and will have a proper look in the morning but thought it best to get some other ideas of what to look for when I check.

The pen is about 12 meters by 27meters with net on top and is on fresh ground as we had to move it. Thanks for all the advice I will let you know tomorrow if I have been a bit nervy.

Definitely feather pecking. Sounds like the pen is too small but bad whether and disturbance can set them off. Try and keep them settled. You need to make sure there are plenty of feeders and waters so birds are not fighting to eat/ drink.

A few bales of straw (left intact for them to scrat at and jump on) and cabbages hung up and maybe a few bits of cover and branches will help.

It may be just a few birds causing the problems so sometimes releasing the main pecking culprits can help. They can often settle down again but if they keep pecking it won't end well!

Pen is far too small at 12m x 27m for 180 birds. You will struggle!

A good rule is 1 bird every metre of perimeter so you should really have had only about 80birds maximum in that pen in my opinion

Pen is far too small at 12m x 27m for 180 birds. You will struggle!

A good rule is 1 bird every metre of perimeter so you should really have had only about 80birds maximum in that pen in my opinion

I'd agree pen seems very small unless some very very good cover in there.

With such small perimeters i thought they reccommneded 2m per poult? rising to 1m and even 1/2m per poult as perimeter increases (as area increase more with big perimeters). I have a couple of small pens 35-50m sq and only put 50odd birds in them they have so much cover u can hardly find a bird in them afterwards. If a lot of cover u might get away with that ammount but it sounds like ur not really getting away with it

Even hang some gutted rabbits up to so the maggots drip down to give them something to peck at.

Think i would be getting ready to lift wire quite quickly in that pen, while feather pecking is not usually that fatal but can knock them back the extra stress could very easily bring something else on

Hi Luke

Surprised no one else has asked... What feed are you feeding?

How old are the birds, you say you've had them for a week so I'm guessing somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks old.

As suggested

Fresh veg to pick at, use some straining wire to pierce through and hang them up.

More than enough feeders/drinkers?

Any older cocks knocking about?

Ps whilst the pen size is small I have a feeling this is not where your problem lies, how many birds do you usually put through this pen and why did you feel the need to move?

PM me if you like

Edited by Paul223

Hi Luke

Surprised no one else has asked... What feed are you feeding?

How old are the birds, you say you've had them for a week so I'm guessing somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks old.

As suggested

Fresh veg to pick at, use some straining wire to pierce through and hang them up.

More than enough feeders/drinkers?

Any older cocks knocking about?

Ps whilst the pen size is small I have a feeling this is not where your problem lies, how many birds do you usually put through this pen and why did you feel the need to move?

PM me if you like

Hi Paul hope you and your birds are well,

I have checked the pen this morning and I have over reacted a bit (long day and very wet). I caught one this morning and it seems that they have started to peck.

They are 9 weeks old and I am feeding the medicated pellets the we got with the birds. Although the pen is on the small size its about the same as last year and we didn't have any problems then. there are 4 feeding and drinking stations with shelters next to each one. We had to move the pen so they could put in a secondary sea wall as the main one is going to breach in the next couple of years and the environment agency is not going to repair it, we have only had to move it around 200 meters.

I have opened up a couple of bails in there this morning and will stop at the veg shop on the way home.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Yeah this could be the cause, the quality of their preening oil is reduced if they don't get correct salts intake, some times they will disrupt their own feathers around the gland in frustration and some times they will use another birds preen gland, usually unsympathetically

Could be your old pen site was more naturally abundant in the birds salt requirement

I use solulyte and just go by the manufacturers instruction

Now they've drawn blood it'll be harder to stop, fresh veg (change it regular) and apples dotted around work well, or some of them hanging feed balls, I'll find a link to them

Edited by Paul223

https://www.solwayfeeders.com/gamekeeping-accessories/game-bird-attractants/pheasant-pecker-holding-block-with-spice-5kg-p2175/

Veg is good too but sometimes veg does not last to long, these last a good while and take up the slack if the veg has gone

Cheers Paul have ordered 4 off them will look at getting some stuff for the water as well.

Were the poults bitted by the game farm. There is just a chance that some may not have been done and have developed the vice prior to being delivered to you.

If it persists I would watch them closely and take out the culprits if its just a few birds doing it. Difficult and time consuming, but worth a go.

Also, I would increase the number of feeders and consider opening the pen up sooner rather than later. Anything to spread the birds out and stop crowding.

Poults are horrid little things and love any excuse to indulge in feather pecking and cannibalism, particularly if kept too tight, so anything you can do to relieve boredom and crowding is a must.

As I said before, it would be worth putting up some perches, they can't peck when perching and I may consider removing the shelters to stop them congregating under them.

Good luck.

Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick up date thanks for all the advice it helped keep me calm and sort it out.

After putting down lots of straw and old veg, plus put in some wind breaks and a load of cut down conifers to add extra cover and hanging some of the feed block up that Paul suggested. All the birds are now doing great.