Pheasants dieing

A bit of advice please.

We have 600 poults split over 6 pens. We have never had a problem with disease before but this year they are dieing in each pen.

It starts with them getting yellow poo and then when we find them dead they are almost flat!

They are being fed pellets and wheat and water comes from automatic drinkers from IBC's which have been sterilised.

Pheasants in all pens are dieing.

Any advice greatly appreciated as we are losing them fast.

Thanks

Yes most likely, they will all be picking in the same litter and reingesting each other's bacterial problems

If the pens are small disinfecting the floor will help

Slabs under feeders so that spilt food doesn't end up mixing in cack helps, slabs can be easily cleaned especially in wet weather when the birds will walk cack all over the slabs spreading problems.

Ground or bucket feeders with pellet mixed with glucose or dextrose powder, a touch of veg oil helps the powder stick to the pellet, this can be a big help, as does apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. But right now it's time for the vet!!

Thanks for the help so far.

They are around 9 weeks old currently.

All feeders are barrel feeders on legs. Slabs under all feeders and everything was disinfected before birds went out.

The pens are a good distance apart from each other in very different types of ground with some having more cover than others but birds are dieing in all pens.

I will see if one of the lads can get some to the vet.

Way too young to be on wheat in my opinion, they are growing at an amazing speed and won't be able to get everything they need from straight wheat at that age. Mine are the same age and have just gone onto grower pellets, with a quarter of a ton of peak release pellets to eat after that. Although not necessarily the cause of the deaths, it won't be helping their ability to withstand disease and stress

Edited by kennett

Basically, Hexi is in the birds from day 1 and it only needs stress to develop.

As Paul said get them on glucose asap and stop the wheat. They won't be able to digest wheat at that age and will be suffering from starvation which would lead to stress and Hexi and dehydration.

You should get them on Denaguard mixed with Soludux, which I'm sure your vet will recommend.

As said, 1st step is the Vet.

Thanks for the help so far.

They are around 9 weeks old currently.

All feeders are barrel feeders on legs. Slabs under all feeders and everything was disinfected before birds went out.

The pens are a good distance apart from each other in very different types of ground with some having more cover than others but birds are dieing in all pens.

I will see if one of the lads can get some to the vet.

Did some one make it to the vets?

Our birds were keeling over within two days of delivery ........ Several hundred pounds in vets bills later turns out to be Hexamita . Two of our pens were on new ground as well .when it comes to spotting it I think the giveaway is the phlegm like droppings , once you start to see that in the pens it's pointless postponing the inevitable trip to the vets . The Gamefarmer didn't want to know ! There can't be many businesses where you're supplied a product costing thousands and you have no recourse ...... He grudgingly gave us 50 replacement birds , as a favour :-/

• 2 weeks later...

Yellow frothy poo = hexi, stress is the usual cause. Nice big pens, plenty of cover, plenty of feeders, nice and quiet, keep them on the same pellet the breeder had them on and change over slowly.

http://www.crowshall.co.uk/gamebird-path-rearing.php

Its gapes that you can treat with sheep wormer but medicated pellets work better if you also have water springs in the pen.

A

Our birds were keeling over within two days of delivery ........ Several hundred pounds in vets bills later turns out to be Hexamita . Two of our pens were on new ground as well .when it comes to spotting it I think the giveaway is the phlegm like droppings , once you start to see that in the pens it's pointless postponing the inevitable trip to the vets . The Gamefarmer didn't want to know ! There can't be many businesses where you're supplied a product costing thousands and you have no recourse ...... He grudgingly gave us 50 replacement birds , as a favour :-/

Usualy a sign of not keeping the pens clean, Drop Him Like The Proverbial BRICK. and They are usualy Idle....

• 1 month later...

this year A friend of mine has taken over a syndicate he shot on for 20years. all the guns paid what was asked and money was gathered a few weeks before the birds came. Since the birds have come they have been dying about 200 so far which on a shoot of 1200 is a decent chunk. took the birds to the vet and as we guessed it was hexi. Straight away they syndicate owner kept on at the breeder who also provided his own vet after the first complaint and it is fairly clear its not the breeders fault. Turns out they ran out of pellet on the shoot so just came straight off pellet and onto corn/wheat no gentle switchover.

What bothers me abit is the fact that as they have bought some more birds to make up for the loss so far and forthcoming losses, but the syndicate owner/keeper has now said it is now going to cost all the guns more money. is this common practise or he being abit cheeky as its his fault they have the disease??