Advice from a Novice to Other Novices!

chasechicken

I've started shooting pigeons over the past 6 months or so - to begin with I had my shotgun, 6 decoys and not much patience. I would lay the decoys out and sit in a ditch partially obscured, and wonder why nothing really happened. I would get twitchy if 100 pigeons didn't descend to my setup within 10 minutes, and then go wandering... only to see a couple float over where I was sat just moments before.

In the end I'd come away with 2 or 3 birds for a good few hours of work. It got embarrassing telling the farmer about my measly bags.

So. I did the 'right thing' and bought a load more decoys, a hide, some camo and spent more time looking at flight lines.

My first outing with this new setup brought far more luck. Before I had finished setting up I had three land within my decoys - I doubt you'd see anyone pull the gun from the slip, load it and shoot faster than I did that moment!

And they kept coming in - I came away with about 20 birds (from quite a few more carts I must say!) - but it just made so much difference. I felt virtually invisible.

So if you're just starting out - listen to the advice! Get the decoys, learn a little about flight lines and lay out a decent pattern. Get a hide net or something, and dress up in camo. It really *really* does work - it's not just an excuse for grown men to play soldiers!

I now cannot wait to go out again (work does get in the way doesn't it!) and I'm hoping this time, with a little more composure, I'll drop a lot more.

GOOD FOR YOU..................that is what this forum is all about.........the problem with us blokes we are all born thinking that we are all trained F1 drivers ace pigeonshooters...wonderful lovers and we all have enormous tadgers.....................but really we are like everybody else................a lot of what you read on here ....the answers that people give are often conflicting..........dosnt mean to say that they are wrong ...it just means that everyone has a different approach to the decoying because of the area they are shooting.........................there is one thing ...which you have found out , and that is ask a question (however stupid it may be ) and you will get reasoned answers....

there are hundreds of years experience on here and we have all started where you have started.......and you have made a good start ... :good:

GOOD FOR YOU..................that is what this forum is all about.........the problem with us blokes we are all born thinking that we are all trained F1 drivers ace pigeonshooters...wonderful lovers and we all have enormous tadgers.....................but really we are like everybody else................a lot of what you read on here ....the answers that people give are often conflicting..........dosnt mean to say that they are wrong ...it just means that everyone has a different approach to the decoying because of the area they are shooting.........................there is one thing ...which you have found out , and that is ask a question (however stupid it may be ) and you will get reasoned answers....

there are hundreds of years experience on here and we have all started where you have started.......and you have made a good start ... :good:

That's a very true statement. Well done for the bag Chasechicken.

I've started shooting pigeons over the past 6 months or so - to begin with I had my shotgun, 6 decoys and not much patience. I would lay the decoys out and sit in a ditch partially obscured, and wonder why nothing really happened. I would get twitchy if 100 pigeons didn't descend to my setup within 10 minutes, and then go wandering... only to see a couple float over where I was sat just moments before.

In the end I'd come away with 2 or 3 birds for a good few hours of work. It got embarrassing telling the farmer about my measly bags.

So. I did the 'right thing' and bought a load more decoys, a hide, some camo and spent more time looking at flight lines.

My first outing with this new setup brought far more luck. Before I had finished setting up I had three land within my decoys - I doubt you'd see anyone pull the gun from the slip, load it and shoot faster than I did that moment!

And they kept coming in - I came away with about 20 birds (from quite a few more carts I must say!) - but it just made so much difference. I felt virtually invisible.

So if you're just starting out - listen to the advice! Get the decoys, learn a little about flight lines and lay out a decent pattern. Get a hide net or something, and dress up in camo. It really *really* does work - it's not just an excuse for grown men to play soldiers!

I now cannot wait to go out again (work does get in the way doesn't it!) and I'm hoping this time, with a little more composure, I'll drop a lot more.

where are you based?

Good write up honest and open :good:

It's a good point.

However when I started out ( I still consider mysel a novice because whilst he been a member a long time I haven't decoyed for two years and hve probably shot less than 300 pigeons) I bought enough decoys and hide etc. but the bet day I ever had was when I was bored of setting it all up for nothing, so I tried a field with half a dozen shells and a bouncer, and stood in the hedge in my combats. Got 50 in a couple of hours. So yes, having the kit to choose from is good, but if you are where they want to be, the bare minimum will do!

Good post but one thing to remember is it was more likely your patience and observation that led to a better bag than more decoys and others toys, a magnet, flapper, bouncer can be great some days but it's learning which days that is the real art.

Half a dozen dead birds and two hours reconnaissance can pay dividends especially if you have been monitoring fields for a number of days beforehand. However with all that said you are just as likely to turn up at a field that's been hammered for days on end to not see a single bird there on that day, that's just pigeon shooting!

All part of the fun. Yes, I'm sure that's all true too JBS ... and certainly once I started popping the shot birds out in the pattern, it did wonders.

A question actually about that - I just crown the birds when I get home and freeze the meat. So the carcass goes in the bin - but I'm sure I should be using these as decoys. How's best to do this, without ending up with maggots and a stench.......?

er sounds like you drive a skoda and have a maggot with a hair-trigger......

A question actually about that - I just crown the birds when I get home and freeze the meat. So the carcass goes in the bin - but I'm sure I should be using these as decoys. How's best to do this, without ending up with maggots and a stench.......?

If you keep an eye on your local paper, free ads, streetlife.com, facebook buy/sell groups etc you'll no doubt come across someone getting rid of a small freezer for not much more than £20 to £30. Stick it in your garage, then when you bring birds home split the skin open at the breast, pare the meat off then freeze the rest. You might want to keep a few intact to use on rotary/flapper because I think the weight helps to balance them sometimes.

If you start getting good and bringing big bags home, you'll want to just empty the crops out, freeze them and then sell them on to the game dealer intact, so the freezer will pay for itself in one way or another!

If you keep an eye on your local paper, free ads, streetlife.com, facebook buy/sell groups etc you'll no doubt come across someone getting rid of a small freezer for not much more than £20 to £30. Stick it in your garage, then when you bring birds home split the skin open at the breast, pare the meat off then freeze the rest. You might want to keep a few intact to use on rotary/flapper because I think the weight helps to balance them sometimes.

If you start getting good and bringing big bags home, you'll want to just empty the crops out, freeze them and then sell them on to the game dealer intact, so the freezer will pay for itself in one way or another!

I don't know of anyone who empties a pigeon's crop before taking to the game dealer.

I don't know of anyone who empties a pigeon's crop before taking to the game dealer.

A chap who supplies my Game Dealer with lots of birds, removes the crop and tail feathers, cuts the wings, feet and head off, before freezing them.

He reckons he gets more birds in his freezer and delivery trays as a result.

I've never tried that, but it seems a lot of work if you have 100 odd birds to prepare.

I think it will be a while before I bag 100 odd birds. Got 20 this weekend which is my record so far (no laughing!)

I noticed a lot of them had little eggs when I was de-breasting - from flies I would assume. Just wondering what you guys do to prevent this. I was using some as fresh decoys and the rest were sitting in a pile next to me. It was a wet mild day so didn't think it would be too huge a problem........ I did think that I could de-breast in the field and seal the meat in a container but sod's law being how it is, as I was doing it a load would come into the pattern and I wouldn't be able to shoot.

Probably worth a fresh post but will see if anyone reads this ....

Another thing to remember (well couple of things actually)

Take your time standing up. Wait until you have picked out a bird, and then slowly stand, aiming as you do so, that way the birds won't flare away. Maybe not as "exciting" shooting, but you'll get far more hits for the amount of cartridges fired.

Also, once you have picked a bird, stick with it. Far too many people start on one bird, then have another coin so change to that, and then end up not shooting either.

Once you've shot one, THEN is the time to start looking for another.

You always have far more time than you think you do, so use that time to ensure you actually shoot a bird

Edited by Redditch

I had to take a different approach the other day as it was wet they weren't coming in to the decoys, so I went for a hide at a hedge on the flight lines and get them that way. This meant walking around as their paths changed and so having the air rifle wasn't always practical.

I had one which I had to do its neck - and it worked ok! But it felt horrible... I then had another and it didn't seem to work so took it to the rifle .. this is all as quick as possible of course. Don't know what I'm doing wrong - one day I'll just get it right I guess!

A friend suggested just suffocating them by holding the neck tight but I don't like the idea of that.......