Shooting on Sunday

Velocette

I've just landed a first class pigeon shooting permission on a huge estate in a rather posh part of Yorkshire . The landowner is willing to give the two of us sole rights to all the vermin control and so we want to get on the ground as often as we are needed. Some areas surround some small villages and I'm reluctant to blaze away with shotguns on a Sunday out of consideration for the residents. I've yet to question him on his views about it,but wondered what the members on here would do. Of course,,if the man says shoot on Sunday with my blessing then I'll be there,,but I was brought up to view Sunday shooting as not quite right.

Nothing wrong shooting on a Sunday as long as it's not game and your intended quarry is legal to shoot on a Sunday in the county (geese and the like on the GL).

I would ask the landowners thoughts as you have exclusivity. You may find he doesn't like shooting on a Sunday.

He could be like one of the ones local to me who had a complaint about me shooting on a Sunday morning a few years back. A woman phoned up and said "Sunday is my only day off and I don't want to hear gun shots as I enjoy my coffee in the garden"

His response was "Sunday is the chaps shooting only day off and I don't want to see pigeons damaging my crops, that is why and they will continue to shoot on a Sunday". When he told me about this next time I spoke to him, he did ask that we didn't start shooting until after 9am :ninja:

I would also say we didn't shoot close go the village and if we did we would take a hours or so break when the church bells were ringing :innocent:

Nothing worse than shooting on Sunday, I'm totally against it.

I believe that one should respect a Sunday for what it is, I only feed stock on a Sunday and never, ever operate any machinery or do any field work. Never heard a shot round here on a Sunday and hope I never do.

Sunday is the only full day off that I get working 6 1/2 days a week so I vote defo shoot on a Sunday if you want to everyone needs to let off steam. If you have permission to shoot the land and want to shoot it then go for it, worse case scenario police turn up you explain the situation show your permission and crack on

I must admit,,I do feel uneasy about it but as I have most days free from lunchtime onwards,,there must be a way to cover the ground without disturbing folk on a Sunday. I can see the point that its not illegal and that the noise may be minimised by the wind but I do want to get as many local people onside with this one as it really does represent the best shooting possibilities I ever had and do not want to carelessly antagonise anyone.

I believe that one should respect a Sunday for what it is, I only feed stock on a Sunday and never, ever operate any machinery or do any field work. Never heard a shot round here on a Sunday and hope I never do.

A chap I shoot with is of the same thinking. Always asking if I fancy a day on the pigeons but have only ever once taken him up as the demon work stops one getting out for a day except Sundays :/

I respect some don't do it and can often feel the same. Day of rest and all.

Only real answer will come from land owner, ask their thoughts on it.

I do shoot Sundays and always will as pigeons don't know what day of the week it is.

Only reason the Sunday law on game was because back when the lord of the manor had his shoot and his staff only had Sunday off, he didn't want them poaching his birds so it became law that there was no shooting of game on a Sunday and this stopped them shooting his birds.

I don't start pigeon shooting early and never run late but I do shoot them any day f the week

What is a Sunday?

Very considerate of you.

Do you worry about what the antis think?

Its a day when its not raining and you can go out and shoot pigeons and such like :)

Looking out window today, its a rainy day that you can shoot clays on...

Every other sunday is when the members run clay shoot I do is on, we dont start until 10am as did speak to locals etc. But then the shoot is also on a public footpath(we shoot off of it so ramblers are safe... And 9 out of ten of them will actually stop and watch as they are interested to see what its all about..

I must admit,,I do feel uneasy about it but as I have most days free from lunchtime onwards,,there must be a way to cover the ground without disturbing folk on a Sunday. I can see the point that its not illegal and that the noise may be minimised by the wind but I do want to get as many local people onside with this one as it really does represent the best shooting possibilities I ever had and do not want to carelessly antagonise anyone.

It really is as simple as getting a moderated shotgun.

I was in the same situation as yourself, I let off 4 shots and had a phone call off the farmer saying he had a phone call about noise. The house was approx 100 yards away and I thought It would have been ok.

I packed up and left, done some research through the week and ordered a 20g moderated pump.

Problem solved.

I can now get on with my shooting and I'm not annoying anyone with shotgun blasts.

I'm happy to shoot on a Sunday but if there is a Church nearby then I won't shoot before midday. I'm sure they won't want their service disrupted by my shooting. A couple of hours once a week is not going to make or break a farmers crop.

Its pretty obvious really, tread carefully, you don't want to rock the boat, but you are entitled to shoot so work up to it and always keep the landowner very much in the picture and on your side. Probably best to put a call in to the local police just to let them know. Evidence in the past has been it takes a lot of the wind out of a complainer's sails if they phone the police only to be told "yes we know about that"