Stop whistle.

Evolve82

How is the best way of teaching stop whistle to a 2 year old lab?

She will do it on a lead next to me even if I blow the whistle and keep walking she will sit down. She will do it about 2 yards away from me but that is all!

If I call her to me and blow the whistle half way she will keep coming in and sit on the 3rd (ish) time of blowing a few yards away! She will not do it at all when she is just out mooching around.

Before anyone just says- practise practise practise, can they also offer some advice about how to practise doing it as I don't want to end up just getting frustrated with her whilst out!

I also am aware it is my fault why she can't do it and I must confess I have been a bit lazy with her and not done any training for nearly a year because of work and life and I just haven't had the time. but want to get back on it now.

Looking forward to a bit of advice and inspiration from the kind folks in here!

blow the whistle once and start running after her or towards her shouting and screaming no matter what distance then grab hold and drag her back to the position you wanted her to stop still shouting your displeasure then try the exercise all over again and when it all works walk in very quietly and calmly make a great fuss and let her know she has done well this can be done on short retrieves and try to work her in an area that she cannot fail or get away from you, little and often rather than drilling it in as the dog can get bored very easily also blow the whistle at any time from inside the house and if she does not sit try the above method and possibly add a treat now and again hope this helps

also when she sit keep walking away and coming back praising when she gets it right as being in a hurry or impatient can lead the dog to move before a command and become self employed

Edited by Saltings

blow the whistle once and start running after her or towards her shouting and screaming no matter what distance then grab hold and drag her back to the position you wanted her to stop still shouting your displeasure then try the exercise all over again and when it all works walk in very quietly and calmly make a great fuss and let her know she has done well this can be done on short retrieves and try to work her in an area that she cannot fail or get away from you, little and often rather than drilling it in as the dog can get bored very easily also blow the whistle at any time from inside the house and if she does not sit try the above method and possibly add a treat now and again hope this helps

also when she sit keep walking away and coming back praising when she gets it right as being in a hurry or impatient can lead the dog to move before a command and become self employed

Thanks for that. Kind of what I have been doing. She is quite timid though and if I shout at her she puts her head down and will cower down and become disinterested very quickly.

I just don't seem to be getting anywhere keep putting her back. By telling me this works I have been given a new sense of encouragement and will just keep doing it morning and night for a few goes in a 80yard alley way I have near me.

How long should it take if I am doing it right?

Good post and look forward to hearing the advice.

my labs 2 and this is one (of a few) problem areas for me/him as well.

100% on lead and will stop off lead if just walking about but put a dummy/tennis ball into the mix and theres no chance! He`s soft as **** so the going ape bit just doesn't work and he becomes timid and lies on his back quivering.

try to keep training as calm as possible and give the dog loads of praise when doing something right even have the dog sit and watch you do 80% of the pick of the dummys and if when it does what you want perfectly stop there for that lesson with loads of praise as to carry on could force a failure and the dog will be reluctant to carry on and will not improve

if the dog has been told off a little too much and may have lost confidence in you stop training for a week or two and mess about and play ball etc until its happy to be with you and then restart training slowly and softly little and often always fun ( try to finish on a high no matter what it is ) so the dog does not finish on a dowrner

Please bare in mind thay you have trained your dog that the dtop whittle mesms sit down within 2 yards of you!

Of course to its mind its trying to do good

Dont chastise a dog that doesnt get it as itd pointless and vountet productive

Stsrt tskimg it easy and try and get a ten yard stop by keeping calm only blowimg one time and just taking it bak to the ecact spot blowing again for the dog to connect wbistle raisrd hand with stop on yhe spot REWARD IT INSTANTLY keep at it then omce the dog totally gets it work out further and introduve rewsrd and reason via a thrown retrieve

Work towards a planted blind with direction from the stop but dont bore the dog

Wow, some of the advice on here is unreal. Make sure she actually understands what you're asking of her before running at her balling and screaming, and if she is timid it's probably not the best course of action anyway.

Also don't over do stopping her on the recall, this can lead to them becoming hesitant on the return.

Is she steady to a dummy? Try sitting her by a hedge/fence/wall and throwing a dummy 10yards or so away so that she can see it. Leave her sat there and walk the opposite way. Recall her in and before she gets up to full speed blow your stop whistle. See if she stops quicker. If she does cast her back for the dummy. Don't over do any exercise whetr you stop her recalling as she may start to anticipate it and become either sticky or run in for the retrieve.

Wow, some of the advice on here is unreal. Make sure she actually understands what you're asking of her before running at her balling and screaming, and if she is timid it's probably not the best course of action anyway.

Also don't over do stopping her on the recall, this can lead to them becoming hesitant on the return.

was under the impression on the first post that the dog was fully trained and had started to ignore everything so in the next post was informed it was timid so naturally tactics change and as with a lot of posts more information becomes available as things progress different to a conversation with someone where questions can be asked and answered to find out the best course of action and if you blow the whistle until you are blue the dog does not know its doing anything wrong after the first one, unless you let it know as it has got away with it many times before and I agree with your stop and recall comment, as I am trying to help and get information sorry if it upsets anybody shouting is better than beating the daylights out of them or using force training collars as I have seen used by others, again trying to help

was under the impression on the first post that the dog was fully trained and had started to ignore everything so in the next post was informed it was timid so naturally tactics change and as with a lot of posts more information becomes available as things progress different to a conversation with someone where questions can be asked and answered to find out the best course of action and if you blow the whistle until you are blue the dog does not know its doing anything wrong after the first one, unless you let it know as it has got away with it many times before and I agree with your stop and recall comment, as I am trying to help and get information sorry if it upsets anybody shouting is better than beating the daylights out of them or using force training collars as I have seen used by others, again trying to help

You didn't upset me, I just didn't want to think of someone running out screaming at at dog that has no idea what it's done wrong. As with most dog based forum questions, answers are pretty speculative based on what people perceive the dog does/does not know. Going to a trainer who can observe is always by far the best way.

You didn't upset me, I just didn't want to think of someone running out screaming at at dog that has no idea what it's done wrong. As with most dog based forum questions, answers are pretty speculative based on what people perceive the dog does/does not know. Going to a trainer who can observe is always by far the best way.

couldn't agree more

The dog is obviously very soft. Which can be a handy thing when training but requires a keener eye and slightly more (ok, a lot more!) empathetic approach than with a dog of average temperament. Without having seen the dog though we can all type away like keyboard warriors until we're blue in the face but I think this dog needs somebody experienced to cast an eye over her and help you. Have you any trainers in your area that you know of? If not I'm sure somebody will be able to point you towards one. Soft dogs are soooo rewarding but also so frustrating if you haven't guidance and back up.

Edited by bigbird

The dog is obviously very soft. Which can be a handy thing when training but requires a keener eye and slightly more (ok, a lot more!) empathetic approach than with a dog of average temperament. Without having seen the dog though we can all type away like keyboard warriors until we're blue in the face but I think this dog needs somebody experienced to cast an eye over her and help you. Have you any trainers in your area that you know of? If not I'm sure somebody will be able to point you towards one. Soft dogs are soooo rewarding but also so frustrating if you haven't guidance and back up.

Best advice

Some need it others it will go against you . I preffer the latter type

I'm no expert by any means, but I thought that if a dog ignores a spoken command, there is no reason why it should obey when shouted at. Worse still, the dog may then get used to be shouted at, then ignores the spoken command.

Mm depends some dogs like some people have issues with doing what they are told first time

You need to know which type you have infant of you

My current I should call confident sensitive but has this humorous side when he will tease you. It's hard to keep totally calm and just ignore his transgression but to ball him out will make things worse

I have had others that needed to be admonished and made fully aware of the facts

Personally I think it's all about knowing your dog

Bit like dogs are kids I have two both we have had to raise very different for the same end result

Thanks for all the help so far. There is only so much information you can give in a opening post!! Just to clarify she is a very soft dog. And is only partly trained.

She can do a straight seen retrieve with 'back' command. However, in a wide open space she will ****** about before bringing it to me after picking it up. (Seen this in other dogs at a dog training club I did last year and only did it since then). She can do left and rights in any order, even with both dummies thrown and only picking up one that she is told to. She can retrieve from behind her (rolling off shoulder) but can sometimes shift her body by 45degrees when seeing the dummy go over her head.

In all She is not that steady but used to be better a year ago! But that is due to me not working or training her for a long time.

She knows the stop whilst means to sit down but she slows up when hearing it at a distance and 'creeps' closer but never sits until she is a shorter distance from me. THIS IS SOMETHING SHE HAS NEVER GOT THE HANG OF. As I said before, she can do this whilst walking to heal with or without a lead but not at any distance. I have been working on making sure she know the whistle means to sit rather that any other body language or verbal cues from me. This is now the case.

After reading this post back it all seems as clear as mud but hopefully will give you an idea of where we are at and how much more work there is for us both to do!

As for gunshot training, well... She is not scared of a blank .22 or shotgun shots. She does get very excited though and I can't stop her running in if she is not on a lead. Have been to a clay ground lots of times to try and 'get her used to' the noise. Seems to be working- just need to do more of it!

Thanks for all the help so far. There is only so much information you can give in a opening post!! Just to clarify she is a very soft dog. And is only partly trained.

She can do a straight seen retrieve with 'back' command. However, in a wide open space she will ****** about before bringing it to me after picking it up. (Seen this in other dogs at a dog training club I did last year and only did it since then). She can do left and rights in any order, even with both dummies thrown and only picking up one that she is told to. She can retrieve from behind her (rolling off shoulder) but can sometimes shift her body by 45degrees when seeing the dummy go over her head.

In all She is not that steady but used to be better a year ago! But that is due to me not working or training her for a long time.

She knows the stop whilst means to sit down but she slows up when hearing it at a distance and 'creeps' closer but never sits until she is a shorter distance from me. THIS IS SOMETHING SHE HAS NEVER GOT THE HANG OF. As I said before, she can do this whilst walking to heal with or without a lead but not at any distance. I have been working on making sure she know the whistle means to sit rather that any other body language or verbal cues from me. This is now the case.

After reading this post back it all seems as clear as mud but hopefully will give you an idea of where we are at and how much more work there is for us both to do!

As for gunshot training, well... She is not scared of a blank .22 or shotgun shots. She does get very excited though and I can't stop her running in if she is not on a lead. Have been to a clay ground lots of times to try and 'get her used to' the noise. Seems to be working- just need to do more of it!

Not sure what the solution is, but it just sounds like your dog is not steady enough.