10 bore home loads

Hia fellas, Iv just made my first batch of cartridge, I got loading gear at lowther show on sunday(clay and game) iv pattern tested them this morning.. There are 182 shot per shell(no 2) at 50 yrd 1/4 choke 68 in 30" circle (37 %) and 1/2choke ..56 (30.7%).. Can I improve on this? If so how do I go about it.. I'm using 41grn cx2000 +150 , multi metal wad , 42 grm no2 steel , felt spacer then crimp.. Cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a modern 10g? If so get 2oz in it!

He won't be getting 2oz in, if it's steel shot.

Hia fellas, Iv just made my first batch of cartridge, I got loading gear at lowther show on sunday(clay and game) iv pattern tested them this morning.. There are 182 shot per shell(no 2) at 50 yrd 1/4 choke 68 in 30" circle (37 %) and 1/2choke ..56 (30.7%).. Can I improve on this? If so how do I go about it.. I'm using 41grn cx2000 +150 , multi metal wad , 42 grm no2 steel , felt spacer then crimp.. Cheers

A 30% pattern at 50 yards is not going to put much in the bag.

Aye I see, yes gun fits nice, was getting centre of pattern... Choke is factory I think , powder is maxam ssb 150 .....patterns at 30 yrd 1/4 140 (76.9%)... 1/2 127 (69.7%) on a 48" plate outside of circle was very even spread.. I was happy with pattern at this distance.. Just at 50 yrd it was low. But again was very evenly spread,

I think you'll kill a lot of stuff with that load .... most of what ends up in the bag is shot a lot less than 50 yards, and most of the time, who knows if it was in the middle of the pattern!

I'd go with it, and consider aftermarket chokes if you feel yo need the improvement.

I would disagree , surely the whole point of home loading is to get as good a cartridge as possible , not to knock something up that is not great and say " I will go with that " .

It would hardly fill me with confidence using a poor pattern at that range .

If you have no intention on shooting stuff at 50 yards then try loading 3s , high speeds can "blow" patterns but there is no point dropping your powder charge from the recipe , unless you get some loads tested over a chrono or proofed first as their is little point on having a good pattern which does not have the energy to kill what you are shooting at easily.

Steel can be rather choke sensitive so could be worth trying the load through a few.

Number 3 steel will need lucky strikes to get drt kills unless the range is shorter than warrants a 10 at all say 30 yards.

I use 2 for when tje geese are comming low and fast bbb out to 35 or so

Please remember non us carry rangefinders amd ping a goose before shooting.

Judge on the drt kills and those you have to send the dog quick

Patterns? Personally I look at pellet count but pay more attention to an even distrunution free of clumpd and gaps with consistancy

I think actually if your chokes are bore mic'd you may well have a more open choke than you think. Are patterns even? Or very blotchy? I would try a 3 slit wad full length evenly cut to try and 'tighten' those loads for that range, but if you only want the load for shooting duck out on creeks etc shooting 30 yard duck its plenty! But I wouldn't bother with 3's in the 10ga, if you want to shoot duck and geese load some 1-1/2oz 1's a great do it all load. I have shot plenty of teal when needed with this load! Lol