One for the Fox Boys

la bala

A farmer on whose land i shoot rabbits has asked me to get rid of a fox. I intend to put the trail camera out a few nights to check his movements. When i have seen his movements and times, I intend to bait an empty paddock a few nights to see if i can entice him in. I intend to put the bait at a ranged 50yds. Here is the question, I will be using .22 subs, so is it head shot or boiler room. Before some jump in here with you didnt ought to do that, or .22 is not the tool for the job, the farmer has some spooky horses and noise is an issue. So any suggestions from guys who carry out close range fox control with .22 subs would be welcome. Thanks.

A .22 subsonic will do the job if placed correctly, and you are ready for a quick follow up shot. I would try and reduce the range to around 30-35 yards, and re-zero your scope to that range. 50 yards is possible, but closer is better. Go for the chest area where you can hit the vital organs. The head is a small target, and the brain even smaller. Even with an accurate shot, the fox only has to move its head, the split second you fire, and you could end up missing, or worse, injuring it.

Others will come on here and give their point or view. This one is mine.

Yep boiler room at 40 max 50 yards.

When using the trail cam, set some bait about 10 yards in front of it, that ensures he will come into view.

It's how I now shoot 99% of my foxes, but I use the 17 HMR or the 22-250 for the job, as I don't have a 22. A single shot doesn't usually spook the animals, just multiple shots at close interval will almost certainly do so.

Edited by Redditch

I've shot two Fox's with Subsonics at approx 50m, hopefull they died quickly i will never know as they both ran away. Im not saying people don't kill Fox's with .22 just dont be supprised if the Fox gets to its toe's .

I've shot two Fox's with Subsonics at approx 50m, hopefull they died quickly i will never know as they both ran away. Im not saying people don't kill Fox's with .22 just dont be supprised if the Fox gets to its toe's .

Think you missed some posts, now going for 35yds, and it will be a ranged 35yds not approx 35yds.

Edited by la bala

I'd just say that I agree with other posts : boiler room, just back of the shoulder. I've shot a few foxes with the 22LR, and it's very effective at an appropriate range

Shame that noise is an issue, because at 35 yards, a 12 bore with a decent load (Alphamax 42g of BB, for example) will drop a fox on the spot, and a lot harder to miss.

Ok lads, thanks for your positive comments, will bait at 35yds and hope any breeze is blowing to me.

At 35 yards shoot it at where you are most comfortable with be it head chest or side on, with a well placed shot it will go down in either of these places. Preferably at that distance I would go head shot but that is just my view and we all have our own.

If u have a semi auto 22 get three quick shots into the boiler room around 30-40yrds. Nothing wrong with using a 22 though. As steve b says, it will do the job.

not good advice in my opinion. One good well placed shot should be all that's needed. If you make a mistake with the first correct with a second . To fire three shots at something in quick succession that will most prob jump or fall after the first seems crazy, what if he misses with the first at chuck one in the guts and one in the rear end. Bad advice. Edited by jayDT10

I should add oil to the bait and turn it into a slop that needs lapping then brain shoot it personally chest shot and it is likely going to cry out and run from

22 lr and it's not nice and has potential to upset the family at the farm

The zero should normally re m ain the one you used to 50 for most of us at 35 you wouldn't normally take s different a trajectory wise with most set ups but it's up to you to know or check that

If you don't know how to get the brain then go for the heart but remember about the time lag and potential for upset