A good larl day

Scully

Had time to get on the winter barley stubble at last! We had a great time and set up in the shade of some Ash trees atop the railway banking which was directly behind us.

The craic was brilliant with some stunningly impressive kills and some unbelievably abysmal misses in an increasingly strong wind. Busy around here today and we could hear others shooting in many directions.

We ended with 88 mixed corvids and 64 pigeons, plus others not retrieved from the railway banking. I just love this sort of day; good friends, good banter and good shooting.

Spring barley next! :yes:

d3fecc22-c5ee-49dc-9700-45a111568332_zps

Edited by Scully

It must have been you .....with the new Perazzi.... :lol::good:

:yes: Have to admit I shot like a **** initially; just couldn't seem to get on them at all, but eventually got the hang of it and pulled off some good shots including a couple of lefts and rights. Tightest chokes I have for this gun are 1/2 and 1/2, but they could reach out there.

It was short notice and I only had some Cheddite 28grm 7 1/2's I'd bought for clays and some SIPE 32 grm 6's for all round use, so took the latter. Although I love them for game I found them to be a bit too punchy with prolonged use even with the weight of the Perazzi. Bearable but punchy, so in future wont be using these for decoying.

Mate who was using a lightweight game gun found them unbearable by lunchtime so went off for some lighter loads.

Very good for that part of the world.

Thankyou.

But on a Sunday tut tut :lol:

I know, we did try to get into church, but it was full. :yes:

Nephew and a mate have had bags of 83, 102 and 207 in the last month. The latter tally with four shooters.

Is that Whinfell in the distance?

No JD, but I can see how anyone could think that. The wooded hill top is actually in the opposite direction, towards Ormside. The Carlisle to Settle railway is over the fence on the left at the bottom of a steep banking.

The ground around Whinfell is sown with Rape, but as far as I know it isn't decoyed over because of its close vicinity to the Center Parcs holiday camp, but there are several game shoots over it in the winter months.

A great day with friends a great bag to go with it. Couldn't ask for better really, well maybe apart from cold beer, or maybe a nice port, being served to you in the hide by pretty girls.

We did get lunch and drinks delivered, but it was by my nephew, who had heard the shots from his house and phoned me on the off chance it was us shooting. He was at a loose end so I told him to grab a gun and call at the bakers on the way past. :yes:

He is always keen to beat me at clays but live quarry is something else and despite him pulling off some very impressive far out shots I wiped his eye when two crossers came in. Looking through the scrim we decided I would take the left and him the right, as that is how we were positioned in the hide. I killed mine first barrel, he missed his first barrel and dropped a leg with his second, after which I killed it with my second.

He thought it was brilliant and I just smiled as if I did it everyday. There's still life in the old dog yet. :)