SGC Application Interview Questions...

Insy

Hello Everyone,

I've recently sent off my application for a SGC and on doing so I've been told by a couple people I know and they've said the guy can ask some weird questions when the comes to check your gun storage and interview you.

I've heard stuff like name 5 components in a shotgun cartridge, whats the minimum distance you should be shooting your gun at etc.

You had any experience of this and what questions if so?

I want to make sure I'm a bit clued up on this before the visit.

Thanks.

I didn't have anything like that, we had a brew while running through the application form, he asked me a few questions about stuff on my application, asked me what i wanted my SGC for (to shoot clays with friends and colleagues and as a new hobby/sport for me to get involved in) and he asked me if i had any shooting experience (lots of air rifle shooting, a couple of trial 'clay sessions' and a couple of one to one lessons) and that was pretty much it.

In fact my FLO was more than helpful in offering me information as a new shooter, on gun transport/storage, on local shooting grounds etc, he was a really nice helpful chap :)

If you maybe put what area you are in people may know your local FLO and be able to advise better ;)

Totally irrelevant questions that the FEO should not be asking. I'd suggest recording the interview (be open about it though, even explain that some people have told you about 'stupid questions' from some FEOs), but BEFORE the day of the interview make sure you join BASC or other shooting organisation where you'll get legal help if needed.

All you need to know is that guns must be kept secure, only you can know the location of the keys.

Any other information you'll pick up as you go along. You don't need to show 'good reason' to get a SGC (unlike FAC), you don't need to be a member of a club for clay shooting, and there's no requirement in law for secure storage of cartridges. As to naming 5 components of a cartridge, that's only relevant if you intend reloading. So if he asks you, just say "I don't intend loading my own, so I don't know, and I've no need to know. Why are you asking, and why do YOU feel it is relevant ?"

What will you be using it for?
Where is it being stored?

Can I have your Dr's details?

Thats about all I got asked.

FEO then reminded me the necessity to report lost/stolen/sold/bought shotguns and the time frames.

I would suggest that you clue up a little so he has confidence in the fact you won't be shooting irresponsibly but if your new to shooting just tell him that. If you are honest there can be no way that he can hold it against you. In truth he will probably just offer you some advice (hopefully as a shooter himself).

All the FEO's I have dealt with have actually been pro shooting and very helpful

Edited by Delboysparky

Most FEO's are fine (didn't even used to see one in my day of living in England of sgc, it came in the post, and you could buy shotguns from mail order catalogues, yep that dates me a bit LOL)

Now I live in NI and we DON'T have sgc, only FAC, so even a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle goes on the FAC. (This is according to EU regulations, and they will try to get this system into the rest of the UK sooner or later if we stay in the EU)

Here they ask basic questions about security, and experience, what you need it for etc.

the FEO is fine, the ******* in the main office can be a pain in the butt though.

Just be polite, have a nice cuppa, make sure your cabinet meets BS and Police specifications, and is SECURELY mounted to a wall.

Ensure ONLY you know where the keys are kept, and ensure all weapons are securely locked up when not in use.

And that will be about it.

If you want extra brownie points, fit a trigger lock to them even when in the cabinet, that shows "due dilligence" but isn't a requirement.

I have permission to use on a farm to hunt with shotgun/air rifle, I'm a member of BASC already cause I shoot with air rifle + there is a clay shoot on the farm itself but haven't been before.

Thanks for the responses, some people I spoke to said they wasn't asked nothing like I posted but others said what I posted which got me a tad worried.

Cartridge

Case

Primer

Wad

Powder

Shot

Not much to say about shooting but for clays remember never load until on the stand, never point towards people are buildings, preferably have one or two lessons

Remember a shotgun will need a safe range of 300 meters plus as a safety distance pellets under about no 7.5 will travel further

Would not expect any questions like this except the distance a shotshell will travel

Good luck and enjoy shooting

Questions that I was asked (rightly or wrongly):

Where do you plan to shoot & what?

Who are you planning to shoot with that already have SGC/FAC?

What's the interest in killing animals (if you're doing more than clays)?

How much do you drink?

What type of shotgun are you planning to buy?

What is the process for notifying the authorities when buying/selling a shotgun/firearm?

Who else could have access to the gun?

I'm sure most of those questions aren't appropri but better to know if they might get asked so that you can decide upfront how you might want to respond.

Don't worry yourself over any questions he/she may ask. If you don't know the answer, just say "I don't know"

They are not there to catch you out and can be quite helpful as already mentioned above.

As long as you filled the form out truthfully and meet with the requirements (not been inside for more than 3 years,If I remember correctly (section 21), are of sound mind etc. Then they can't refuse you.

Don't worry and chocolate biscuits help ;)

Out of interest, what are you looking to shoot, clays, game?

I have'nt got a SGC, but have Section 1 FAC!

Before my FEO visit, I had people telling me about all the "traps" that the FEO would employ in his questions.................from my experience, it was all total rubbish!

These are the kind of people who get great pleasure in telling all the silly stories to people coming up to driving tests, job interviews and err, certain medical/surgical procedures, especially those in the trouser department. :lol: They are sad ba****ds who take great pleasure in other peoples' worry and distress!

Take no notice, relax, be honest and you'll be fine!

I found my "chat" with the FEO to be pleasant and informative. On my recent "renewal" visit he gave me a lot of good advice on a planned variation to add .223 centre-fire to my ticket, which is currently 22LR and 17HMR.

All the "nay-sayers" have told me that I would have "no chance" of including C/F on my ticket............... turns out that, once again, this is total rubbish and by following the FEO's advice, the procedure should be straight forward.

ATB, Peter.

Edited by fabpeter

Invite in ,sit down do you want a cuppa , no thanks was the answer , asked to see the safe so took him through while we was there he asked me about my depression I had had , said I'm fine to which he showed me a letter from my doctor to back up wot I had said , went back to the room asked me about my army days were I'd served , showed me forms to sell and buy said thank you your licence will be in the post , job done

It might help if we knew your age. a lot of people who gave you answers are of an age, FEO might be more curious of a young persons reasons,ablity and knowledge, than of a man in his 30`s with an Army History, I was in my late 50`s when I applied for my sgc and firearms cert, the FEO came, sat

down had a cuppa and we talked about past life, prison service etc I had to remind him to check the cabinet before he left.

Edited by malantone

There's no trick questions he isn't gonna try and trip up you up on any awkward all he's interested in is that you are sensible and have a healthy mind your gun safe is securely fixed . Just relax offer him a cup of tea these guys know straight away if your ok often they will talk about other issues not remotely connectly to shooting.

24 years old, never had any bother with police at all never even been in a station.

Clean driver's license.

My interests are computers, metal detecting, cycling, camping etc not going out most nights on a bender.

Like I said I have permission on a farm to use me HW100KT .177 and Shotgun and I will have a written permission slip on me from the farmer for the interview.

Age shouldn't be a reason at all cause people much younger than myself have had them allowed.