Osprey v Trout

docholiday

Just come back from a little photographic "Safari" to Scotland, had a brilliant time and saw things I have never seen before, we really do have some magnificant wildlife in this country. Despit getting up at four in the morning for days on end,sitting for days with the birds not fishing, or using other lochs, poor light, rain birds fishing with their backs to me and Herons and ducks wanting to get into the photo, managed to get a few keepers, it was a lot of fun to achieve what you set out to get despite the difficulties of wildlife photography.

Osprey%20Aviemore%208-2015-113.jpg

Osprey%20Aviemore%208-2015-119.jpg

Osprey%20Aviemore%208-2015-13.jpg

Osprey%20Aviemore%208-2015-61.jpg

Edited by docholiday

Cracking pics indeed.

what loch in aviemore was it doc?

If its Aviemore it could be Rothiemurchus as thats a great place for seeing the Ospreys working.

Used to take Mac and theres a wee burn runs along it and last time there was a big hen salmon spawning with a very little salmon that looked pretty comical.

Very nice pics well done.... Love that second last one with both wings up and the lower half in the water. I see it's on the rainbows it could be Carron Valley?

One of the things that attracts me to a day out boat fishing there is you see lots of Osprey action!!

Brilliant photos and magnificent birds.

Seen one today while traveling up the M74 near Beattock,,,,, it really cheered up what is normally a long boring drive, thought about it a few times during the day I.e. we're would it be migrating to,, as I have seen them in north Africa, west Africa and the middle east.

Driving back down this evening spotted what may have been a osprey, in the hard shoulder obviously hit by a vehicle (dead) it was roughly the same area I spotted one that morning.

Couldn't be absolutely sure especially when you doing 70 but the color and size would be a good match.......... If it was what a bloody shame".............. Though the image of it from this morning will stay with me for quite a while.

My apologies if I have spoilt a good post

thought about it a few times during the day I.e. we're would it be migrating to,, as I have seen them in north Africa, west Africa and the middle east.

They do migrate to and from Scotland to West Africa. Highland Trust for Wildlife did satellite tracking for a few years and was a delight to follow their travels.

I have not seen one for decades but always keep my eye out for them in the spring as they pass over me on the way up to Scotland.

http://www.roydennis.org/animals/raptors/osprey/satellite-tracking/nimrod/

Great images Doc..

Were you in a hide to get these great shots or are the Osprey on a regular water and feed frequently..

Cheers

GG

We used hides on ground level, sometimes the ospreys turn up sometimes not just had to put the hours in, they mostly came in the early morning but the odd one came during the day, I spent 9 hrs there one day and didnt see a bird let alone have one fishing.

I went a couple of weeks ago as they are feeding heavily ready for the trip south

We used hides on ground level, sometimes the ospreys turn up sometimes not just had to put the hours in, they mostly came in the early morning but the odd one came during the day, I spent 9 hrs there one day and didnt see a bird let alone have one fishing.

I went a couple of weeks ago as they are feeding heavily ready for the trip south

Thanks for the info Doc noted.