Any Suggestions

wymberley

Oppo has an 05 plate automatic Shogun which ever since he's had it - several years, bought second hand - in the winter he's had no drive until the engine throttle is blipped a few times after which all is well. The main dealer could not find a problem so he's lived with it. I thought this could have been a red herring to the problem he now has but it's now started doing it together with the new fault. Engaging either drive or reverse, the car just drives itself and needs the brakes to hold it. It's going into the dealer tomorrow. I know nothing about diesels or automatics and he knows even less.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be before they baffle him with science and charge him a fortune for the privilege?

Cheers.

i had a not dissimilar problem with my then 2 year old TD5.....ended up having a new quadrant fitted...the thingy on the end of the gear shift lever...wasnt making the right connections,,....wasnt an expensive fix......altho i had it done under warranty...parts were cheap........it was also going into default mode...

Virtually all automatics I have driven need to be held back with the brakes when you engage drive or reverse.

as you say that part of it is totally normal....the AWD volvo estate i had...you couldnt move the gear shift unless you have your foot on the brake ..........