help gun cabinet

kory1986

Hello

I need some advice please on were I can mount my gun cabinet I live in one of those flimsy morden houses. I only relly have two options one being my bedroom as this does have a brick wall but it's got about 3 inchs of plaster and other stuff in front of that brick wall could I just drill a 4 and a half inch hole in the wall and mount it to brick work then mount the bottom to the joist my wife will no way on earth let me cut a hole in the wall so that's option is out. Second option is my built in cuboard upstairs the problem is this is there's no brick wall could I just mount that to the floor joists then buy the correct fitting for the plaster board and use some chemical fixings I can't lay it down cause the cabinet to long is there any cabinets that people no of that's 42inchs high cause then I could mount it to the floor joist laying down im after my section 1 firearms lieance and will be going through thame valley police any advice would be much appreciated I know this question probably been ask a million times in past but I'm a stuck on what to do.

First of all I doubt that you have 3" of plaster!! If you drill a small hole, say 6mm, into the plaster and stop when it hits brick you can then measure the depth-add about 75mm and buy some throughbolts-ebay sell them-if you go for something like a 75mm bite in the wall and a 6 or 8mm studding then 4 of these should be fine-something like ebay item no 351404567178.

Edited by bruno22rf

Put it in the loft? I live in a new modern house too, couldn't go downstairs because the whole of downstairs has under heated flooring and didn't want to tamper with that. Couldn't go upstairs as like you say, walls are a nightmare. Whacked mine in the loft to the joists, FLO was happy with it being up there and the missus don't mind as there isn't a bloody great metal box for her to look at

Yup, been there too.

Attaching to the brick wall is the best option, it will be what's called 'dry walled' in that there is a sheet of plasterboard sitting on dabs of plaster and then a block wall behind that - my house is the same.

Do not risk use expanding rawlbolts as there is a very real risk of splitting the bricks or blocks in the wall behind which will result in a serious problem that will be hard to rectify.. My FAO insisted that the cabinet (a Brattonsound SL7) was sitting on the floor and flush against the wall so I had to carefully cut the skirting board in situ using a hand held tenon saw, just took some patience to do.

I then used Excalibur Screw Bolts http://excaliburscrewbolts.com/, which are rather clever in that you drill exact size holes for them and they cut their own threads into the brick or blocks as you tighten them up, incredibly secure and super neat, no mess, Will take the cabinet back hard against the wall.

If you Google 'fasteners' and your postcode you should be able to locate a wholesaler near to you.

I too live in a modern house with dot & dab to all walls. The only solid walls are the external ones and one running through centre of house. I could fit my cabinet under stairs as not enough room and wife said no to bedroom wardrobe as she's run out of room anyway. In the end put mine in the attached garage, FEO happy as not visible from a window, secured in to wall and floor. Alarmed and upgraded security to garage doors. At the end of the day you have to find the best solution for your house. There is no hard and fast rule. I could use loft as it's been insulated to new regs and guns would rust away fast up there. Despite the fact I don't have loft ladders installed so FEO said I would be more likly to not put them away straight away.

Put it in the loft? I live in a new modern house too, couldn't go downstairs because the whole of downstairs has under heated flooring and didn't want to tamper with that. Couldn't go upstairs as like you say, walls are a nightmare. Whacked mine in the loft to the joists, FLO was happy with it being up there and the missus don't mind as there isn't a bloody great metal box for her to look at

bit of a problem I don't have a loft m8 lol

Ah well. Could be a bit of a problem there then lol

I got a idea now m8 I just message the firearms officer he said It should be ok if I bolt it to the floor joist at the bottom and then mount the back to the plaster board wall using chemical fixing in my built in cupboard but I should wait for the fire arms officer to come but please keep the advice coming cause i could do with multiple options Edited by kory1986

i live in modern house mate iput it in the corner of room cut skirting board away so it sits flush against plaster and just used longer bolts and chem fittings to get into the block work and some coach bolts to hit the joists in the floor and FEO was more than happy i can hang off it and its fine

remember your task is to make to take good security precautions not to stop the expendables coming in and snatching your guns

lol expendables that made me laugh yer I know m8 but I want to get it right frist time thanks for the advice m8

Yup, been there too.

Attaching to the brick wall is the best option, it will be what's called 'dry walled' in that there is a sheet of plasterboard sitting on dabs of plaster and then a block wall behind that - my house is the same.

Do not risk use expanding rawlbolts as there is a very real risk of splitting the bricks or blocks in the wall behind which will result in a serious problem that will be hard to rectify.. My FAO insisted that the cabinet (a Brattonsound SL7) was sitting on the floor and flush against the wall so I had to carefully cut the skirting board in situ using a hand held tenon saw, just took some patience to do.

I then used Excalibur Screw Bolts http://excaliburscrewbolts.com/, which are rather clever in that you drill exact size holes for them and they cut their own threads into the brick or blocks as you tighten them up, incredibly secure and super neat, no mess, Will take the cabinet back hard against the wall.

If you Google 'fasteners' and your postcode you should be able to locate a wholesaler near to you.

It may not be dot and dab it may be a timber framed house with just an outer red brick skin, if he drilled through the insulation and damp course would it not let damp through ?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally done it what a night mare basically I attached some 2 by 4 to the wall stubs in my cupboard that's never coming off I can hang of the top one and stand on the bottom one then put a 1 inch ply board over the 2 by 4 basically made a new wall then attached one side though the 2 by 4 and stub and the other side through the 2 by 4 using coach blots and the bottom into the joist using coach bolts the cabinet is now in there solid I can grad hole of it with all my Wight and it won't move I well try pulling in out it will not move bloody night mare but job done