Making My Quad road legal.

rimfire4969

I have a Susuki Eiger 400 Quadrunner which I use around the place, but it would be handy to take it on the road to a couple of farms to help clear the rabbits and to move feed around our shoot. My quad has head and tail lights including a brake light and horn. Does anyone know what else it would need to be able to register it and make it road legal?

Thank you one and all.

I understand I will need a mot and have it registered, its the what do I need to the machine to make it come up to standards.

I have found a fairly good website on the subject so no panic now.

Thanks

Link please ? just out of curiosity.

i

I have a Susuki Eiger 400 Quadrunner which I use around the place, but it would be handy to take it on the road to a couple of farms to help clear the rabbits and to move feed around our shoot. My quad has head and tail lights including a brake light and horn. Does anyone know what else it would need to be able to register it and make it road legal?

Thank you one and all.

It all depends if you want to register it as plg or agri, agri is much easier than plg but both methods require a lot of work. easiest option for you would be to buy a road legal frame and swap everything over still a chew on but easier than trying to convert yours.

i

The mechanical things are easy but the paperwotk can be a pain. I think that if the vehicle has been bought new by you and you've got the paperwork then I dont think that reg is very difficult but if you aren't the original owner then you might have to prove that VAT was paid by the original owner Ect. I've never done it so i dont fully know but I Know of someone that is going through this at the moment and I've been led to believe that it is going to take months to sort out. and get plates on the machine.

For agri all you need is insurance then fill in the paper work, any one can register a vehicle for agri use but there are a lot of restrictions on use but you may be covered under game farming or pest control.

If you want it plg the easiest why is to go and by one already registered

For agri all you need is insurance then fill in the paper work, any one can register a vehicle for agri use but there are a lot of restrictions on use but you may be covered under game farming or pest control.

If you want it plg the easiest why is to go and by one already registered

Registering a quad for agricultural use is alot more involving than just insurance, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

I've registered all my quads as road legal on agri plates, but all been brought new. Meant to be a real nightmare to register a 2nd hand quad but in theory it should be doable.

With a new quad it has to pass a 1 off road worthiness test, most agri quads need a wing mirror, sometimes need indicators but 1 time didn't need them of same quad company? (i generally put them on now thou, as like them for turning on busy roads)

Insurance can be a nightmare to get, not many companies insure quads now so often dear and usually end up in a chicken/egg situatuion insurance needs a number plate, dvla needs insurance have touse searail number but usually the 'computer says NO' happens with the phone operators, althou once u've had the 1st quad it has been easier.

If i'm being honest depending how far ur travelling and how rural ur area is but i wouldnae bother registering it. In our area polis turn a blind eye to it really as long as ur sensible

Registering a quad for agricultural use is alot more involving than just insurance, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

You only need all the lights mirrors etc if it is inspected, you don't need them to use it, you don't NEED lights on a car for it to pass a mot!. I've never had one inspected yet. Its not the registering that is hard but the proving that you are with in the law using it if you get stopped!

I've registered all my quads as road legal on agri plates, but all been brought new. Meant to be a real nightmare to register a 2nd hand quad but in theory it should be doable.

With a new quad it has to pass a 1 off road worthiness test, most agri quads need a wing mirror, sometimes need indicators but 1 time didn't need them of same quad company? (i generally put them on now thou, as like them for turning on busy roads)

Insurance can be a nightmare to get, not many companies insure quads now so often dear and usually end up in a chicken/egg situatuion insurance needs a number plate, dvla needs insurance have touse searail number but usually the 'computer says NO' happens with the phone operators, althou once u've had the 1st quad it has been easier.

If i'm being honest depending how far ur travelling and how rural ur area is but i wouldnae bother registering it. In our area polis turn a blind eye to it really as long as ur sensible

if its second hand or non new you will get a Q plate

You only need all the lights mirrors etc if it is inspected, you don't need them to use it, you don't NEED lights on a car for it to pass a mot!. I've never had one inspected yet. Its not the registering that is hard but the proving that you are with in the law using it if you get stopped!

if its second hand or non new you will get a Q plate

As the op wants it for rabbiting so assuming he shoots after sunset then he needs a full lighting kit, if he uses it between the hours of sunrise to sunset then he doesn't need a lighting kit. As his quad already has lights fitted they must all work and meet the correct certification. A V5 will not be issued unless your quad is inspected which if its a new quad they check very little apart from the quads Id. If its a used quad and you can get the correct paperwork from Suzuki (normally charge £50) in the ops case the paper work would prove the year the quad was manufactured you will get an age related plate and not a Q plate. If you cant prove the age of the quad you will then get a Q plate. If you have never had one inspected yet then you have either bought it already road legal or it hasn't had a V5 issued to it.

As for proving legal right to use it that's no problem so long as you don't take the **** and use it to go shopping with, stick to going from field to field and you will be fine.

As the op wants it for rabbiting so assuming he shoots after sunset then he needs a full lighting kit, if he uses it between the hours of sunrise to sunset then he doesn't need a lighting kit. As his quad already has lights fitted they must all work and meet the correct certification. A V5 will not be issued unless your quad is inspected which if its a new quad they check very little apart from the quads Id. If its a used quad and you can get the correct paperwork from Suzuki (normally charge £50) in the ops case the paper work would prove the year the quad was manufactured you will get an age related plate and not a Q plate. If you cant prove the age of the quad you will then get a Q plate. If you have never had one inspected yet then you have either bought it already road legal or it hasn't had a V5 issued to it.

As for proving legal right to use it that's no problem so long as you don't take the **** and use it to go shopping with, stick to going from field to field and you will be fine.

I have done 3 myself and none have been inspected, although I did have to take one for inspection but as it was chucking it down with rain so the inspector didn't bother. that was in the days of local dvla offices.

As for legal right to use it if you are going from bit of land to another to carry out pest control you are ok but if your doing the same trip to do a bit of bunny bashing for fun then your not, it's all in the wording!

I was told it had to be registered to an agricultural address to be agri, it had to comply with the required lighting regs etc and you had to supply paperwork from either manufacturer or an accepted club/ register. In my case Honda do not supply paperwork for anything over ten years old and I wanted to register a classic quad.

I was told it had to be registered to an agricultural address to be agri, it had to comply with the required lighting regs etc and you had to supply paperwork from either manufacturer or an accepted club/ register. In my case Honda do not supply paperwork for anything over ten years old and I wanted to register a classic quad.

An agricultural quad can be registered to any address, my quad is registered to my home address but its the insurance that sometimes requests that the quad is registered to an agricultural address. Lights are only required if you plan on using the quad after sunset and as for the paperwork in your case your quad could still be registered but it would be placed on a Q registration.