Dr D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some will be specific to farms.

Mine are:

Gates - leave them as you find them, generally closed

Vehicles - generally, don't drive on fields unless it is specifically permitted at certain times.

Text - let the farmer know where you are and when you will be there/leave

Payback - give the farmer something back, this may be help not just a bottle of booze

What do you consider appropriate pigeon shooting field etiquette? Towards others, the land and the quarry?

What are the essential dos and do not?

This 5 word mouthful used to be known simply as, 'lore' which also included a fourth aspect in addition to the three given which was that relating to, 'safety'.

If I know the land is shot by somebody else I wouldn't ask to go on myself , although its not always the case the other way round .

Never leave cartridge cases behind or anything else for that matter.

Try and pick up everything you shoot within reason .

Gates being left open , blocking gateways , shooting on or near roads and foot paths , the list can go on and on , but the main thing above all else is common sense and respect the countryside.

From some one who works the land one of the biggest annoyances is vehicles left in or very near gateways!

Modern machinery can be very large and often needs more room than you think to get into certain entrances. If possible leave your vehicle away from them, if no other place is available leave a peice of paper with your number on inside the window ! At least it will save us moving it!!!

Just remember, when you leave the aim is to make it look as you have never been there. I shot one farm recently and behind my hide there were three rotting pigeon carcasses down a bank and at least four dozen empty cases. I picked up two dozen just left in the field margin. Now that really annoys me. It's disrespect for the land, the farmer and the quarry.

As has been already stated.

Only leave footprints and a few feathers

Always tell the former you are on his land

If you see the field and someone else is on it leave , unless invited.

Never take others without permission.

Repay the farmer with a bottle.

Text or phone the farmer and thank him send a photo ( good bragging rites in the Pub)

Respect the birds you shoot , they will be food for someone.

Always dump your dead pigeons away from the place you shoot.

If you dump them upwind of the prevailing wind you might wish you had not.

I prefer mine in the hedge bottom downwind of the prevailing wind and hide.

I nearly always dump the birds i shoot as it it not worth the time and effort storing and taking them to the game dealer for the pittance he pays.

Always take toilet paper and a trowel with you as grass is a poor substitute. :lol:

I nearly always dump the birds i shoot as it it not worth the time and effort storing and taking them to the game dealer for the pittance he pays.

Always take toilet paper and a trowel with you as grass is a poor substitute :lol:

There's nothing worse than when a finger pokes through! :yes:

As for the rest of your post....'prepare for the onslaught'! :ninja:

Always take toilet paper and a trowel with you as grass is a poor substitute. :lol:

Well done you for dumping your pigeons. Very classy.

true colors coming out

i hear you do he same with geese :whistling:

never will understand the mentality of some people,, why not put the same thought into finding a game dealer as you do with dumping them with the prevailing winds

I think pigeonblasterian likes to prevoke a response and he certainly got that here!

Back to the OP's question re etiquette,

I would say respect is key,

Respect the land, respect the farmer but also the respect the Woodpigeon. If you drop it out of the sky then do your best to find it.

It might not be dead. You can never pick them all but you can try your best.

I think pigeonblasterian likes to prevoke a response and he certainly got that here!

Back to the OP's question re etiquette,

I would say respect is key,

Respect the land, respect the farmer but also the respect the Woodpigeon. If you drop it out of the sky then do your best to find it.

It might not be dead. You can never pick them all but you can try your best.

about sums it up :good:

never will understand the mentality of some people,, why not put the same thought into finding a game dealer as you do with dumping them with the prevailing winds

Neither will I. Why can't some put the same thought into accepting the fact that some people are shooting for pest control and not 'sport'? Not everyone cares about pigeons in the way others do; they are vermin after all. Why can't some people accept that? If you care so much about pigeons, stop bloody shooting them!

We already travel some distance to meet our dealers staff halfway to deliver rabbits, and he isn't interested in pigeons (only once did one of his staff come to us to collect, and he received a rollocking from our dealer) and we get 1.50 per head shot rabbit so freezers space is taken up with them. How much is a pigeon worth....25 pence?

Our two local butchers aren't interested either, so they get ploughed in or buried along with the other vermin such as corvids after I've breasted what pigeons I can take.

Our farmers are quite happy for us to do this, but like I've already said, they live in the real world where your 'sporting' sensitivities count for nowt.

We don't get the pigeon numbers around here as others do on arable prairie farms; the only time we get to shoot pigeons in significant numbers is now, harvest time, at the landowners request, and even then the corvids generally outnumber them 2 to 1.

If people want to get their collective knickers in a twist about pigeons left in margins to be ploughed in then give me your phone number and we'll see how many are willing to spend their free time and fuel to travel up here to collect them. Before you set off it's worth bearing in mind some are pretty hard hit; this is pest control and we don't think twice about sparing 'unsporting' birds. Some aren't even worth breasting.