Entering Competitons!

TheLurchmeister

Hi Guys...

I entered my very first shooting competition this weekend and loved it!!!

Oakedge Shooting Ground held a "3 Shot Challenge" specifically for Autos and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Managed to bag a top 10 finish which I'm very pleased about considering I used a borrowed Semi and I'd never shot one before and was alsp my first competition. So now, as you can imagine, I want to up my game and compete in COMPAK and at Game Fairs. :whistling:

I understand there is a CPSA British Open Sporting this upcoming weekend at Garlands and a few of us are heading down to watch, But I'd love to head down and compete in this one, But how do I go about it? Do I need to be CPSA Registered? What is CPSA? Why do I need it? Can I shoot competitively without being a CPSA Member?

It's all confusing to me, I just want to turn up and shoot.. How difficult can it be? :lol:

P.S, If anyone knows to any Competition shoots where I can just turn up, Get booked in and Shoot.... Let me know!!! :good:

think you can enter comps without being registered but not sure what category they'll put you in. CPSA works a handicap system AAA AA A B C, C being the lowest level. You need to do 3 comps to get a letter, once you've got that you can win prizes I think. An unregistered shooter can go and compete I believe but as they don't know what category you should be in, I don't think you get any prize money etc.

I think some comps you have to be CPSA registered. Only costs £65ish to sort it. Check the website I might be (probably am) wrong!!

Smaller local shoots it won't make any difference, bigger comps with bigger prizes you will I think.

I've just registered and hopefully get time to start entering some.

The CPSA have it all stitched up.......

Essex Masters is an open shoot, as are a few others,

To be honest grounds can't really afford to turn away non CPSA members so can wangle it.

If you want to become a serious competitor then you will have to bite the CPSA bullet and join.

I fell out with them years ago so slightly biased against them.

BUT

I know of at least 3 people off here, Will Poon, bunnykiller and Kingo15 that are shooting at Garlands on the Wednesday and have been booked in for ages, I don't know if you can turn up and shoot on the day without booking,

Maybe worth a phonecall to Garlands?

:shaun:

If you want to shoot competitively then join the cpsa.

You dont have to join but every shoot you attended you will be given a temp class by the ground, They say they judge it on a few stands and wrok it out that way, but im never completly sure how they do it.

But for arguments sake you turn up and have a blinding shoot you could be put in a higher class than your possibily are and thus stand less chance of winning some money.

As shaun says they have it sown up.

But once you join you can just turn and shoot any ground that has a registered shoot on.

Just be warned competitions are addictive and you can end up shooting anything if you fall into the wrong crowd :lol::lol::lol:

Regards the British Open you have to be a CPSA member or other national organisation recognised by the CPSA and be booked on in advance. I have known people who have turned up early on the day and asked to be put on a reserve list should anyone fail to turn up for their start time.

You might land lucky and get a spot or be unlucky and wait all day in vain.

If you are going down Sunday then there is no chance of just turning up and shooting as it is finals day .

The finals day is just shooters who finished in the top 5 from each class and the top 3 from each category from the previous days.

Edited by timps

If you want to shoot competitively then join the cpsa.

You dont have to join but every shoot you attended you will be given a temp class by the ground, They say they judge it on a few stands and wrok it out that way, but im never completly sure how they do it.

But for arguments sake you turn up and have a blinding shoot you could be put in a higher class than your possibily are and thus stand less chance of winning some money.

As shaun says they have it sown up.

But once you join you can just turn and shoot any ground that has a registered shoot on.

Just be warned competitions are addictive and you can end up shooting anything if you fall into the wrong crowd :lol::lol::lol:

What are you implying?

There are quite a few unclassed shooters taking part. As an open shoot you don't have to be a member of the CPSA. You do need to book in though and if you go onto the CPSA website, on the first page they show there is a telephone number to call to book in if there are spaces. It won't be easy but it will be a lot of fun. Not all registered ESP shoots are just turn up and shoot for example Owls Lodge mid week monthly shoot is book in only as they limit numbers. Depends on the discipline as well, Fitasc you do need to book in because it is squadded and usually limited to a certain number of squads. In a normal registered you can just go birds only, pay a little less and not be entered into the prize money part of the competition.