.270 and 7mm Rem Mag - what is the difference?

malkiserow

Strange how things go, the .270 seems to often get some bad press about "kicking like a mule" etc and seems in decline. I've noticed an increase in people in my area buying 7mm Rem magnums and I was thinking, what is the practical difference in use between the two? Is it just a fad?

And, no, I am not buying either of them.

Anyone shot both to know the difference?

The two are completely different. I don't have a .270 but it is based upon the long action case for the .30/06 / .270 / .25/06 family.

My 25/06 (same case smaller neck) loads with about 54gns of powder.

7mm Rem mag is a much larger belted magnum. it takes about 70gns of powder and although this will load with several weights of bullet I've had the best results with 140gn bullets.

7mm Rem Mag is much more expensive to load and is much more powerful than the .270.

If you want to target shoot as well as sporting shooting, the 7mm Rem Mag is a HME Calibre and its ME means you need a HME qualified RO, an additional annotation on your competence card and have to go through a more detailed and formal range zero before being allowed on other ranges.

It can be very accurate and its enough for the biggest reds.

Its too much (does a lot of meat damage) for smaller deer.

Apart from the HME process for target shooting, its hard on the shoulder when shot repetitively the .270 would be much kinder.

Edited by English