Information on my Beretta 686E for wildfowling please

lakeside1000

I'm heading out onto the marshes for the first time in pursuit of wildfowl, I have a Beretta 686E which I will be using, Club membership , insurance etc all sorted.

firstly will this gun accept 3 inch cartridges,if the barrels are stamped regarding this where and what do I look for and which chokes do you recommend..

And which cartridge would be best for goose or duck at range on a pensioners budget, how many cartridges would you expect to use on a normal outing, bearing in mind I normally shoot 28 gm 6's for pigeon and can get through several boxes in a decent session. .

Edited by lakeside1000

It all depends, on my Winchester you can use full choke with steel, and I frequently do especially with 3.5" magnums.

What needs to happen is

A) look at the barrel to see chamber markings

B) look at barrel to see the proof marks

C) read the manual if it's multi choked.

I will be interested to see how this topic goes, certainly the OP may be knackered if he cannot use HP magnum steel. Bismuth is very expensive.

It all depends, on my Winchester you can use full choke with steel, and I frequently do especially with 3.5" magnums.

What needs to happen is

A) look at the barrel to see chamber markings

B) look at barrel to see the proof marks

C) read the manual if it's multi choked.

I will be interested to see how this topic goes, certainly the OP may be knackered if he cannot use HP magnum steel. Bismuth is very expensive.

I have sxp is it safe use steel with full in then?

32g gamebore super steel 4's would be my choice for what I do, through 1/4 or 1/2 choke.

You realy need to take your gun to someone who knows what they are on about. You need to know the chamber length,if it's steel proof and what chokes are in it and if they are suitable. And don't shoot any pigeon whilst out wildfowling, it not what it's about. Hope all goes well

Great gun but personally I wouldn't be taking it out on the marsh, salt and sand isn't kind to blueing!! Also if it isn't 3" & HP steel proof (I know my 687 is) your cartridge choice unless shooting hevi shot/tungsten etc will be limiting. If it is then 3's in steel for flighting duck, 4's for over decoys if the range is not excessive.

Choke is only a question you can answer after a good session on the pattern plate, but for somewhere to start I would say 1/2.

I normally take about 20 cartridges out with me, I have never used all of them!