Garage bench ideas

Craigyboy21

I've got a brick garage, not massive but would easily accommodate your average sized car. We never put the car in the garage & id like to have a workbench running the length around it, I'm hoping to get into home loading soon & it would be the best place to do it.

Anyone have any ideas or advice as to how they've built a bench in a garage/workroom?

Cheers for any advice.

I just use either floor board or OSB both 18mm as bench tops with a thin piece of timber round edges to stop stuff rolling off, and either 3x2 or 4x2 for the frame.

May not look as nice as kitchen work top but more practical and u dinaae mind when u cut/drill into it or set it on fire welding on it

The engineering factory where I worked at the time had its 8'x6' sheet steel delivered on heavy duty wooden pallets, which were otherwise scrapped.

So the 5"x5" cross-pieces made my bench uprights (and the lengths the workshop rafters).

The bench-top itself was made from old scaffolding planks, with a s/h 40mm kitchen worktop firmly screwed to them. The u-shaped bench was securely screwed to the walls, and the uprights fixed with brackets to the floor.

This bench happily supports my lathe, drill press and huge cast-iron vice and nothing, but nothing, vibrates or shakes and it is absolutely level.

A bench should be SOLID

all of the 'thick ' recommends above

occasionally you will need to get something BIG and the vice and give it some 'welly'. you might regret a flimsy bench

i managed to get a joiners bench from a school woodwork shop clearance/auction, it was my sister wedding day , the day of the auction, so I had to slip out ,bid and then rejoin the throng,

I wasn't going to miss that :lol: it will see me out

look out for a big vice :good:

First decide on the use first then decide on your vice (or vices) first then decide on your bench. A reloading bench needs little in terms of strength from abuse and thumping but a bench for heavy carpentry needs to be heavy and very robust/stable.

Get the height right for you

Make it as heavy as you possibly can if it is for any tough work.

Then decide on your construction but I'd plan for mortice and through-tenons glued and wedged to make it as strong as possible. don't forget diagonal bracing at the back. Benches nearly always get more abuse than you plan for!!! A rickety one is of little value.

I like big strong 4 inch sq or even better 5 inch SQ. To me worktops are at least 2 inch ideally 3 inch solid timber unless you have lots of oil from engines on it.

The house I just bought has a really sturdy workbench in there which the old boy must have built himself.

This one is actually on a metal frame, but no reason it couldn't be constructed out of 3x2 timber. He used floorboards for the top and it is rock solid.

• 1 month later...

Hiya

May be a bit late but a peruse of the '2x4.com' webpage may provide food for thought (Cabelas used to do them).

My bench uses their 'legs' and my timber (or should that be lumber?) for a bespoke length. Topped off with 18mm ply solid enough for reloading and anything I will be doing. I have also made up my shelving using their supports.

Just not sure how you will get it over this side of the pond........

L