Round Action Shotguns

shootthepigeon

I fancy a change of gun and love the looks of the o/u round actions for a bit of a change, I've so far looked at the rizzini which seems to suit me, but already having a C/G maxum i know the quality of them so considering an eclipse evo. the gun will be an all rounder and something to be used and kept, so resale values don't really bother me, has anyone got any other suggestions or views either way?

I have a 20 bore CG Ellipse Ltd which is the cheaper and plainer option to the EVO but nevertheless is a lovely gun to shoot. I particularly like the solid top rib and semi pistol grip stock.

It has what appears to be a colour case hardened finish to the action, but this is in fact a hard lacquer finish which could, if abused, be scratched off.

Whilst most of my shooting is done with one of my side by sides, I find that I shoot better with the CG as it just seems so easy to shoot.

Being vertically challenged, short in the arm, left handed and having a right master eye, this gun which has a LOP of 14.75 inches and is very slightly cast off, by all accounts 'should' be completely unsuitable for me but for some reason it feels just right. I cannot explain that, but with regards eye dominance, I do close my right eye just before shooting.

Perhaps I was influenced by the excellent reviews that these guns received and have not been disappointed. I too am not concerned about resale value as this one is for keeps.

Hindsight tells me that the Evo would have been aesthetically more pleasing but my budget said otherwise.

Hope that this helps.

I was also looking at the rizzini last year Thought them a bit pricey

I got myself a c/g magnus brand new at a great price from a small rfd dealer It's a great gun to use Workmanship / fit and finnish is excellent all in a great package

Just check the market on second hand c/g's They hold their value well

For what you pay for these c/g's you get a gun that will easily compare to a gun costing thousands more

I could easily put mine back on the market and get my money back second hand But i wo'nt

No it isn't a true round action by any reasonable definition. Have a google for diagrams or photographs of both, the biggest difference as far as I'm concerned is that a real round action (likle gthose crafted by Macnaughton, Dickson, or Mackay Brown) wouldn't use coil springs like the CG.

I also suspect that those three respectable and highly regarded Scottish makers wouldn't willingly succumb to the barbaric practice of adding side plates to a gun just to make it look posh and expensive. Side plates on a round action are just not on.

And of course, none of the three old established makers above (being Scottish, and properly schooled) would murder apostrophes in the manner of the CG website.

No it isn't a true round action by any reasonable definition. Have a google for diagrams or photographs of both, the biggest difference as far as I'm concerned is that a real round action (likle gthose crafted by Macnaughton, Dickson, or Mackay Brown) wouldn't use coil springs like the CG.

I also suspect that those three respectable and highly regarded Scottish makers wouldn't willingly succumb to the barbaric practice of adding side plates to a gun just to make it look posh and expensive. Side plates on a round action are just not on.

And of course, none of the three old established makers above (being Scottish, and properly schooled) would murder apostrophes in the manner of the CG website.

Which CG round action has sideplates?