Chilli's

ShootingEgg

I have 6 plants in the green house, two have turned out to be bell pepper so not chilli at all, and they have grown brilliantly and fruited.. My other plants have grown well, but they have only just started to fruit after flowering. Im a little worried that at this time of year they are a bit late and wont grow or ripen. What are other chilli growers thoughts.. This year the plants are best ive had but just worried i wont get anything from them

• 2 weeks later...

I have a good crop of Padron chili's which are looking great, don't think they have much heat but are nice tasting. My Vampire plant is now showing loads of small chili's so I have fingers crossed for them, and my Scotch Bonnet are also getting there! Problem is I am out of the country for another three weeks and just hope they are ready for eating when I get home, I am not convinced the Padron will hold on as they are starting to overload the plant!!! My wife has done a brilliant job of keeping them going when I am away :-)

Hats off to you mate because that is just CRAZY!! :lol::good:

What can I say? I like my chili`s and curries spicy :lol:

It`s not as mad as it sounds. Usually they come out around Madras strength. I have overdone it on occasion though and created something that was almost painful to eat. Fortunately yoghurt or sour cream can usually save the day.

A fungus killed all 15 of my plants this year and I'm sure it came from a change in plant feed. Next year im going to go a mix with them. Still have a freezer full of Aji Limon's from last year and these are my staple chilis all year round at the moment.

Next year i will have a crack at some Carolina Reapers so if your tempted Danger-Mouse i can mail you some and see how you fair up. :good:

A fungus killed all 15 of my plants this year and I'm sure it came from a change in plant feed. Next year im going to go a mix with them. Still have a freezer full of Aji Limon's from last year and these are my staple chilis all year round at the moment.

Next year i will have a crack at some Carolina Reapers so if your tempted Danger-Mouse i can mail you some and see how you fair up. :good:

Had what was branded as a reaper earlier this year and it was a dud! Came from a good friend and looked right, but had all the heat of an ice pole!!

My chilis are all way late this year and they're just plumping up now.

Should have a bundle of jalapeno that I'm going to smoke and grind into chipotle.

Had what was branded as a reaper earlier this year and it was a dud! Came from a good friend and looked right, but had all the heat of an ice pole!!

My chilis are all way late this year and they're just plumping up now.

Should have a bundle of jalapeno that I'm going to smoke and grind into chipotle.

And how exactly do you smoke and grind into a chipotle? Any chance of sharing your recipe please?? :-)

Halve them. Take out the membrane and seeds if you're a bit of a Jessie. Cold smoke them for at least 8 hours over a nice light wood until completely dehydrated -normally takes a day or two in a cold smoker, so I tend to finish them off in the oven on the lowest setting with the door just open.

Either bag them up whole and add to stews/casseroles or blitz them into powder (electric grinders are great for this).

Halve them. Take out the membrane and seeds if you're a bit of a Jessie. Cold smoke them for at least 8 hours over a nice light wood until completely dehydrated -normally takes a day or two in a cold smoker, so I tend to finish them off in the oven on the lowest setting with the door just open.

Either bag them up whole and add to stews/casseroles or blitz them into powder (electric grinders are great for this).

I have never cold smoked before, so I will need to go and read up about that. Thanks fatcatsplat appreciated :good:

What can I say? I like my chili`s and curries spicy :lol:

It`s not as mad as it sounds. Usually they come out around Madras strength. I have overdone it on occasion though and created something that was almost painful to eat. Fortunately yoghurt or sour cream can usually save the day.

To be fair mate the sour cream will be being used in a place where sour cream has never possibly have been before lol