Am I being an ****?

Sprucey

(A bum that is)

Or just too careful....

Problem I face is I have a wonderful girlfriend, but she is constantly asking to take my 13 week old cocker Max out of the kennel for a 'Walk' when i'm either at work or busy around the house.

I feel that it may be detriment to his development i.e. bonding with me etc.

i am I being too harsh by saying no? (it doesn't go down too well with her when i do say no.)

I don't want to upset her, I just want whats best for Max.

I hope someone has been in this position before and has some advise on how to approach..... Dogs seems so easy in comparison lol.

Edited by Sprucey

I am reading Joe Irving's Spaniel Training at the moment, and a reference in the book goes like

"It doesn't matter who feeds the pup, but the one who grants his freedom is, in his eyes, 'God' "

I hope i'm not taking this phrase a tad too far, for as said... I just want the best outcome without upset from the other half.

(A bum that is)

Or just too careful....

Problem I face is I have a wonderful girlfriend, but she is constantly asking to take my 13 week old cocker Max out of the kennel for a 'Walk' when i'm either at work or busy around the house.

I feel that it may be detriment to his development i.e. bonding with me etc.

i am I being too harsh by saying no? (it doesn't go down too well with her when i do say no.)

I don't want to upset her, I just want whats best for Max.

I hope someone has been in this position before and has some advise on how to approach..... Dogs seems so easy in comparison lol.

If you want to keep the girlfriend or and continue to have dogs let her take the darn thing out, freed it whatever

I have had spaniels that have been pet dogs and good shooting dogs in the past

At thirteen weeks it's not going to hurt as they shouldn't be long walks so easy to control personally I wouldn't want any tug of war or retrieving type games the dog won't lose a bond with you over a couple of walks by someone else.

I used to walk a few pups for a keeper friend of mine when he was flat out feeding birds didn't make a difference

as jd says 13 weeks is too young to have "walked"........once the dog has substance then that is not a problem....PROVIDING.........if she does walk it later on she MUST USE THE SAME COMMANDS AS YOU DO...there is no point in you saying "hup"....and she says "sit down cuddly bum"..................it aint going to work....also make sure you are the one that feeds it as well.......and she is not to "play with the dog when you are out"

YOU HAVE GOT TO LAY DOWN GROUND RULES RIGHT FROM THE START..............the dog is not a toy, it is a machine....once it is trained...you can slacken off.....

Thank you all.... this girl is a keeper,

When I say walk, It's more of a take the thing out all day to the stables etc... round her families houses.... then she comes back saying ohh he's had a wonderfull time.

I think my main concern is i don't know what they're getting up to. Regarding the retrieving he has started to play keep away which wasn't the case before, I hardly throw anything for him may I add.

The only 'walks' (to get him out the house) I take him on are into the woods behind my house for 10 mins at the most! or into the car and over to my permission, other than that he tears around the garden.. I am fully aware that he is too young for proper walks.

Ditchman, It's getting that through to the girlfriend .... do you fancy coming over for a cuppa?

I guess i'm just either too nice or pussycat whipped haha.

you have to get ontop of this................this dog will end up ruined as a working dog................why dont you sit down and explain this to her...if you had a prize motorbike you wouldnt let her touch it unless she knew what she was doing..........maybe comprimise ask her if she wants a dog of her own like a terrier and the dogs would live together and keep each other company............she could take the terrier out and do girly things...but the other one is always left for you until it is properly trained and your girlfriend is properly trained..................

you have to get ontop of this................this dog will end up ruined as a working dog................why dont you sit down and explain this to her...if you had a prize motorbike you wouldnt let her touch it unless she knew what she was doing..........maybe comprimise ask her if she wants a dog of her own like a terrier and the dogs would live together and keep each other company............she could take the terrier out and do girly things...but the other one is always left for you until it is properly trained and your girlfriend is properly trained..................

I have tried Ditchman, but to her I am just being an cock about the whole situation, I have thought about another dog but I already have an old lab, but she is on her last legs. I have another topic in which I was advised not to have another pup until max is older. she is obsessed with cockers though , so a pup of a different breed wouldn't work i don't think.

If the girl is into horses I bet she will be good at this

Perhaps actively encourage her and get into some classes or club locally

Was just about to say, she should be pretty understanding about training etc, and if she is a keeper then just have a chat about it and that ud like her involved etc. As has been said, make sure the commands are the same. And should be ok.

you can catch more flies using syrup than vinegar................you have got to work it out with your girlfriend...................

what if.............(and i have seen this happen).............cash rich bloke spends £7500 on dog and sending it away to get trained..............he picks it up and it is fine for the first shoot........thereafter it is effin useless.....as the children and all the family treat it as a pet when he is at work in london...................

get her a ferret to play with !!

i think KENT has the best answer............could be the way to go...go to some training sessions together....women once they put their mind to it can be better trainers than men sometimes.............

Edited by ditchman

get the girlfriend into the training ,take her to a couple of classes when the dog is older

get her to watch a few dog training vids,you tube clips etc so she knows about the basics

my wife feeds the dogs ,teaches them to sit and stay around the feed bowl.

I know loads of dogs that are pets at home but when the boss takes them out there decent enough workers

Just go and give her horse a load of titbits and take it out for a ride 😗

See how she feels 😖

Best advice

you can get a girl any wear

Good dogs are hard to find

and a lot of work in there training

Tell her to shape up or ship out

Proberably not what you want to hear but I bet a lot are thinking it

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Just go and give her horse a load of titbits and take it out for a ride

See how she feels

Best advice

you can get a girl any wear

Good dogs are hard to find

and a lot of work in there training

Tell her to shape up or ship out

Proberably not what you want to hear but I bet a lot are thinking it

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

You are a man after my own heart old farrier, no one comes between me and my dogs not even the wife.

you can catch more flies using syrup than vinegar................you have got to work it out with your girlfriend...................

what if.............(and i have seen this happen).............cash rich bloke spends £7500 on dog and sending it away to get trained..............he picks it up and it is fine for the first shoot........thereafter it is effin useless.....as the children and all the family treat it as a pet when he is at work in london...................

get her a ferret to play with !!

i think KENT has the best answer............could be the way to go...go to some training sessions together....women once they put their mind to it can be better trainers than men sometimes.............

This!! The Mrs walks my lab with the sheep dogs and uses the same commands for him but that's it, she respects the time and effort involved in training him, the same way I respect all her hard work with the sheep dogs.

I fear if your lass is wanting to take the pup around as some kind of accessory then it will only end badly!

I agree with the above.

Mibee worth getting a dvd of spaniel training (say davy lissetts, sure other good ones out there) so u both can watch it, and emphsis how easy it is to ruin or make training really hard by teaching a pup bad habits, and equally how easy u can make training a dog by not letting bad habits devlop and praising good ones. Might be easier than reading a book together

Never watched davy's dvd yet (dvd player broke), but i've trained with him a few times, he does do a lot with his young pups up there but all just play training would imagine his dvd will show that

Ur dog is far to young to take to a pro trainer yet, possibly u could pay a trainer to give u a demo using some of there pups working up the stages with different ages of dogs. Seen a couple of good ones given, or even going along to watch a local gundog club train (help throw dummies)

A hard mouth or noise/squeking could very easily start at that age that u will never ba able to train out of it. while most other bad habits could eventually be corrected it make sit a lot easier if they don't develop in the first place

With older semi/trained dogs u can gey away with murder with different people doing all sorts off things but the dog has learned wot it has to do for u, with a young impressionable pup thats not the case.

If she's a keeper has see not got her own dogs?