Hello from the Wirral

Mr_G

Hi guys,

I had my first clay shooting experience yesterday at the Cheshire Game and Country Fair and really enjoyed myself. I paid for £8 for 10 clay and managed 8/10 using an over & under.

I’m based on the Wirral and looking for somewhere local to have another go as I liked it so much. I’ve done a quick search and the 2 most local places I can find are Puddington and North Wales Shooting School. I’ve been in contact with NWSS and they were very welcoming and their prices seem pretty reasonable. However I can’t find much information on the Puddington site other than it exists. When I google it I get some really expensive chain site called The Big Shoot, but they don’t offer any useful information.

I’m wondering if anyone can give me any information on the Puddington site please?

Thanks

G

Edited by Mr_G

Hello and welcome.

Hi and welcome. I will see what I can find out about Puddington it's a small friendly place,think they do some mid week evenings. Fauxdegla, Llandegla is the best ground around are area,the weather is a different matter.

ATB Albert

Thanks. That would be appreciated, thank you.

Hi G .... welcome to PW! :welcomeani:

Hello! Thanks :)

welcome to the site bud,,i,m also on the Wirral,,i have to be honest but I,m not overly keen on shooting clays at puddington, safety is the last thing on their minds, but its pretty cheap and certainly cheaper than NWSS, its £8 for 25 clays but they give you a box of carts for that, hope that helps bud

cheers Evo

Hi Evo, thanks for your honest reply mate. I think I may still go down and have chat and see what's going on.

The chances are I'll probably head over to NWSS also but it'd be good to see what's going on locally too.

G

Edited by Mr_G

Nwss is a bit on and off. Sometimes very polite and helpful and the other times stuck up there own orifice. The layout never changes and it was on a token system. If your a novice you may be better tagging along with someone or a group at Puddington or fauxdegla.

Spot on Albert 888, NWSS is a soulless place but as a complete beginner they wouldn't let you loose anyway. Assuming the OP doesn't yet have a SGC let alone a gun the only thing NWSS will offer is one on one lessons. These will be quite expensive but will give you a really good start, not only in safety but also hitting the targets.

Puddington on the other hand is a much more friendly (and cheaper) place and David Costain will get you started probably in a more club like atmosphere. Clay shooting is rarely a solo activity but if you don't know anyone the best place to meet people to get shooting with is somewhere like Puddington rather than a big commercial outfit like NWSS or Fauxdegla.

Mr Potter

Thanks for the replies guys, really informative!

I'll give Puddington a ring today and get find out what the best move for me is.

Looking forward to it :)

I have been going to puddington for the last twelve years,its a great place to learn,David Costain is a really good instructor,give him a ring he will make you wellcome,in the twelve years i have been going to pud,its no different then other ground regarding safety,the ownly time i had to pull someone up was a guy who loaded his semi auto behind the line,you just have to be aware at all times.

I have been going to puddington for the last twelve years,its a great place to learn,David Costain is a really good instructor,give him a ring he will make you wellcome,in the twelve years i have been going to pud,its no different then other ground regarding safety,the ownly time i had to pull someone up was a guy who loaded his semi auto behind the line,you just have to be aware at all times.

I take it you was not there then when that woman blew a hole in the concrete on the stand which has the high pheasant coming across the range, ???

to many inexperienced people in too small an area, the guys are really helpful there that is a plus but everytime I,ve been I have felt really on edge due to the amount of people in such a small place, maybe that's me, they do have some good stands but its too busy for my liking,

another place to try is commonwood fisheries near Holt, they have a clay shoot there also once a month when the season is closed,, well run,,very very safe and you can also enter a comp if you so wish,

I take it you was not there then when that woman blew a hole in the concrete on the stand which has the high pheasant coming across the range, ???

to many inexperienced people in too small an area, the guys are really helpful there that is a plus but everytime I,ve been I have felt really on edge due to the amount of people in such a small place, maybe that's me, they do have some good stands but its too busy for my liking,

another place to try is commonwood fisheries near Holt, they have a clay shoot there also once a month when the season is closed,, well run,,very very safe and you can also enter a comp if you so wish, Yes mate i know what you mean,i heard about the woman,and saw the hole,but to fair like i said you need to be aware whats around you,if you remember what has happend at nwss in the last five years,i guy lost an eye when he was hit in the face by a clay just walking back to his car,another guy blew the back of his heel off,they tried to keep that one quiet,another time a mate and myself were doing a round of skeet when a young kid decided to walk out on the next stand to pick up clays,needless to say he got a talking to from us,like i said the nature of what we do can be risky you need to be switched on at all times;

^thanks for the info.

I tried calling today but the number was engaged....All day. Either he likes a good chat, the phone is off the hook or he's waiting for the dial up to get going.

I'll try again tomorrow :-)

Its open at 2pm sunday just come along,david will be there you can have a chat to him,he also does lessens sunday morning.