Help! shotgun Bruising cheek everytime i shoot

Squirrel101

Location is Surrey , would be up for trying a session to see if anyone could pinpoint whats going wrong

Apologies for slow reply, holiday, Game Fairs and work.

If you would like to drop in to the A1 and pay me a visit I will gladly take a look :yes: .

Failing that, look on the BASC web site for Coaches in your area :good: , there are of course APSI and CPSA.

A decent coach will sort the problem for you :good: .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to blame one manufacturer against another is rubbish. Both Berreta and Browning/Miroku make a whole range of guns with different styles of stock. To make sure the gun fits you properly go to a professional coach and have the gunfit checked. A £70/80 investment to make sure everything is right is a small amount to make sure your brand £12/1400 gun fits - gunfit is a combination of stance, mount and the actual size, shape and bend on the stock all of which should be checked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, not sure if any of you have had this problem and whether this is the right topic to post in as new to PW but i have a new Game silver pigeon 1 and when ever i shoot pigeons/clays it always hits my cheek really hard below my eye leaving me with a bruise after about 20 shots. that much so that it puts me off using it, i have a Berreta semi auto which i am absolutely fine with and no problems at all but it just seems to be my new silver pigeon U/O :sad1: anyone know why this could be? would be very grateful for any help/tips

I had the same problem with the silver pigeon 1 it used to beat my face up. Think their built for people with large pompous heads 😂😂😂

Son in Law had this problem. After looking at him shooting it turned out that he was using his master eye which caused him to look across the stock. He was shooting right handed but his left eye is his master. In order for him to look along the barrel he was sort of skewed round to the right so he got a battered cheek and a bruised shoulder. So much for the" it kicks like a mule idea". The solution was to shut his left eye, put the stock into the pocket of the shoulder and turnaround more Square to the front and the target. Instant result, he didn't get battered about and his scores doubled. With a safe gun, Stand in front of a mirror and slowly mount the gun. look at your stance and how the gun is positioned in the shoulder pocket and which eye you are looking down the barrel. Go on YouTube and look at the videos on gun mount. Guns don't kick like a mule if you hold and mount them correctly. PS don't stand too close to the mirror and end up bashing it with the barrels. I hope that this might help you because all stocks are made to reasonable general fit. If you are getting battered it is highly likely that it is you that is the problem.

hello, if your semi auto fits perfect you might think to get the stock LOP/CAST measurements etc of that and see how it combines with your O/U, my first S/S did that back yonks and i knew very little on gun fit but a word at the gun shop and a pop at some clays i had an extra pad fitted which made the LOP and brought the stock higher to making a good fit

I had the same problem with my Beretta. Had a gun fitting session Welsh Warrior (DM Shooting) and it turns out my Beretta is a little short for me. An extension pad sorted it. Just wanted to also say thanks to DM as I noticed an improvement in my shooting this w/e.

Jim I'm glad it's worked for you and thank you for your kind words.

Daf

• 2 weeks later...

its either a gun fit or technique issue, have you had the gun fitted by a professional or had a bit of a lesson from someone in the know, I shoot a 687 which was fitted correctly and doesnt give me any grief even with 3" stuff, either a competent gunsmith or instructor is your next port of call

Mikee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We come across this scenario time and time again with Beretta's at our local clay ground-it seems that the design of the stock simply does not suit some people (my son and myself included) and causes bruising and inconsistent mounting. Try a Browning-it seems to be that the worse fit the Beretta is the better the Browning. And before I get moaned at-NO I don't have anything against Beretta's-they build some superb guns.

You're right there.

When I went to get my first decent gun I really fancied a Beretta Silver Pigeon but on trying them I was disappointed to find they were the worst fit of everything I tried.

The Browning and Miroku were the best by far.

In the end I came across a used Miroku MK38 Sporter grade 5 with adjustable comb so I snapped it up. It looks like a £4K gun for £1500.

When I got my coach to check it for fit we hardly had to move the comb at all and it's been absolutely spot on for me ever since with no further adjustment and no bruises!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, not sure if any of you have had this problem and whether this is the right topic to post in as new to PW but i have a new Game silver pigeon 1 and when ever i shoot pigeons/clays it always hits my cheek really hard below my eye leaving me with a bruise after about 20 shots. that much so that it puts me off using it, i have a Berreta semi auto which i am absolutely fine with and no problems at all but it just seems to be my new silver pigeon U/O :sad1: anyone know why this could be? would be very grateful for any help/tips

could be your eye releaf I don't have much experience with shot guns so I could be totally wrong but I no with a rifle if your getting smacked in the eye it's cause your face is way to close to the sights may be a extension for the stock might help also have you tryed shooting it without resting your cheek on the cheek piece it might also be the your postion and hold of the shotgun I only shot a shot gun a couple of times but I no they have a kick maybe your hold is not firm enough on the gun