Lough neagh

lurgan wildfowler

Not to bad for me and my shooting buddy,we got6 mallard and 2 tuftys on the first,went out Friday morning and got 15 mallard and a teal and stopped shooting at 10 o clock and away home by 11

Not to bad for me and my shooting buddy,we got6 mallard and 2 tuftys on the first,went out Friday morning and got 15 mallard and a teal and stopped shooting at 10 o clock and away home by 11

I'm on the Crumlin side mate,shoot 2 islands at sandy bay and have a shore on round a bit aswell,the islands r good when the divers arrive this is only my 3rd season shooting it but I've been shooting the same shore for 30 years this year,since I was 10 I'm only 40,how's the season started at the lurgan side for u

Yeah good healthy birds so far,plenty of mallard a few teal and gadwall on the shore,the islands come into their own the end of October shooting divers is totally different but I prefer it to be honest, their faster are tougher to kill but lots of fun,we have a 10 bird limit per head each outing, I only wish everyone who shoots the lough had the same ethics

Some people don't understand the fact that shooting big bags all season ruins the sport for the future and the rest who follow the principle that 6 birds is plenty it's not like they are causing damage. I'd quite happily shoot small bags consistently throughout the season than one big one and the rest of the outings not producing any birds.

Al,unfortunately I've seen the photos that prove it,I love to shoot but I have ethics like most of us thankfully but I know of a few that do it only for money,selling birds for good money sucks,I'm skint but would never resort to that ***,last season I had 183 ducks and am well happy, talking to a guy he laughed as and said he'd a couple of thousand in a season, think that's just ******** ridiculous but it's true

Big all where abouts do u shoot on the lough, I'm probably not that far from u

I shoot a couple of places. I shoot the South shore near the bann and also closer to you near Gawleys Gate. I used to shoot Sandy Bay - a couple of places - and know a few landowners around there.

Edited by Big Al

• 3 weeks later...

Ok good luck and let me know how u get on,

Saturday was sunny and calm but I still managed 3 mallard,a teal and 2 tuftys so u never know.

Very poor. I managed 4 teal, but I took 3 of them with 2 shots from one flock.

I didn't even see anything other than teal (apart from cormorants and crows).

A few more migrants and some harder weather should change things though. I'll stick a wee video up of my trip up later if it turns out ok.

At least u didn't go home empty handed and 4 teal is a nice wee dinner, I'm glad I went to the pigeons if that was the way it was, 31 pigeons,3 grey backs,6 rooks and 12 jackdaws today on some stubble although I was there from 8 until 3 so it was a long day

That sounds like a great day. You'll have to get a head cam!