Bear Grylls - is there anything he won't brand?

spandit

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-rifles/spring-powered-air-rifles/gamo-bear-grylls-young-explorer-set-177/3299

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-rifles/spring-powered-air-rifles/gamo-bear-grylls-adventure-survival-set-177/3296

most worryingly:

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-pistols/spring-powered-air-pistols/gamo-bear-grylls-survival-pistol-set-177/3302

(implying that an air pistol is suitable for hunting with, otherwise why would you need it for survival?)

I'm sure they'll sell by the tonne, it's probably something I would have lusted after at a younger age...

Thoughts?

He does put his name to a lot of stuff. Not sure its a bad thing to have someone famous put his name to shooting. I can't see in the add for the pistol that hunting is mentioned. The only place I can find it in the 3 adds is in the bigger more powerful rifle. In fact the description for the pistol is a target pistol.

If he encourages one child away from the damn Xbox/Playstation culture with one of his guns then fair play to him. If you were in a real survival situation then I would imagine you would use any means to get food on the plate, rock, home made spear, dodgy fishing rig.......a Bear Grylls pistol would be a luxury.

The man has become a Manikin for purveyors of any Tat that rents out his name-do people really believe half the carp they see on the box? If he spends so much time surviving alone then who the hell is operating the Camera besides, with current H&S regs, you would be buried under red tape before you could knock up a Zip wire Thong-and on top of all that-he's obviously not even a real Bear.

The man has become a Manikin for purveyors of any Tat that rents out his name-do people really believe half the carp they see on the box? If he spends so much time surviving alone then who the hell is operating the Camera besides, with current H&S regs, you would be buried under red tape before you could knock up a Zip wire Thong-and on top of all that-he's obviously not even a real Bear.

Yep those hotels can be dangerous places....

As said already it'll help shooting out and encourage young shots. My son will not put his iPad down for hours on end at his mums house and if this works I'll welcome it.

I like the guy and can't see why anyone would slag him off ??? Maybe jealousy ?

I have one of his gerber knifes and it's top notch for quality and feel he wouldn't put his name on rubbish

Someone over on BCUK who is keen on very expensive knives tested one of the BG knives. They had to admit that for the price it was pretty good and although they chucked it into a wood, the orange handle made it easy to find. Personally, I think he makes for entertaining viewing and complaining his shows are staged is like complaining that Top Gear is scripted :D

Not convinced pitching an air pistol as a survival tool is that sensible but as has been mentioned, I'm sure none of his critics would turn away the royalty cheques...

If he encourages one child away from the damn Xbox/Playstation culture with one of his guns then fair play to him. If you were in a real survival situation then I would imagine you would use any means to get food on the plate, rock, home made spear, dodgy fishing rig.......a Bear Grylls pistol would be a luxury.

Totally Agree! Great Point!

I'm in the Scouts as a leader (Nonce jokes aside please!!) and he is something like my tenth Chief Scout - In the time he has been there he has done more for the movement than anyone i know. If he makes a few quid out of it, more power to him, but only as long as the gear lives up to the branding. The clothes and knives are OK for the money - There is better out there, but at a premium price.

He's one of the lads who is actually breaking down the ill conceived Health and Safety regulations that everyone moans about and is actively making Scouts exciting again, with a little (perceived, at least) edge to the activities.

Isn't it illegal to hunt with an air pistol in the UK?

All I'll say is this....why would you hurl yourself down scree, leap into torrents and take just about every risk under the sun when your are trying to get out of a place in one piece. Rather counter productive............

Can't fail to acknowledge the interest he has spawned tho' and he certainly is prolific. Then of course there's all the employment he's providing to Sheffield knifemakers.............

Fair play to him I say and if someone wants to pay him to put his name on their stuff, even better.

I'd have no qualms once the cheque crossed my desk. Keep an eye out for Walshie incontinence pants and haemorrhoid cream. :lol:

Edited by walshie

Is there anything legal you wouldn't brand if the money was right?

I've often wondered just how much it would take to do something totally illegal. Assuming the chances of getting caught were very slim what would it take for you to, say, smuggle illegals in ?

Not counting drugs, child abuse and such here as that's just wrong,completely wrong.

Isn't it illegal to hunt with an air pistol in the UK?

All I'll say is this....why would you hurl yourself down scree, leap into torrents and take just about every risk under the sun when your are trying to get out of a place in one piece. Rather counter productive............

Can't fail to acknowledge the interest he has spawned tho' and he certainly is prolific. Then of course there's all the employment he's providing to Sheffield knifemakers.............

It would be if your intended quarry was deer, badger and a couple of other things, otherwise just what legislation do you have in mind that makes it illegal to hunt with an air pistol? (whatever that phrase may actually mean)

Well my dear Dekers that is why I put a question mark against the sentence. I recalled reading somewhere that it was illegal to hunt with one (or something producing less than 6ftlb). So from your reply and tone (plus stating a few ruddy obvious bits) I must be wrong, so I have learnt something.

"(whatever that phrase may actually mean)" not sure what YOUR point is here...can you elaborate?

Edited by LeadWasp