Never a good day on the pigeons!

Addison84

Dear all,

Ive been shooting for many years now and have never managed a bag bigger than 20 or so, this season i havent even bagged double figures! And have even drawn several blanks....

I feel like im setting patterns correctly etc. the only thing i lack is the ability to do some reconnisance, i simply dont have the time to get down to my perms as they are a significant distance from home and work.

Are there any tips people can give or even a shared day out either on my perms or yours? I just feel like i need a sanity check on what im doing.

P.S. Im in kent nr canterbury

Regards

Adam

Recon really is the key to good pigeon shooting , you simply cannot shoot them if they are not there.

We could perhaps offer more help if you are seeing plenty of pigeons when you are out and / or they are feeding on the field you are shooting or you are missing a lot.

But if you are shooting the majority of what you see then their really is little that can be said to help.

Edited by fenboy

They are definately there, my normal procedure is: turn up spend an hour or so observing flight lines and any feeding areas, pick a spot near these, put pattern out, wait.

Normally i move on to another position if nothing happens within half hour

I never seem to manage to find the sweet spot! Normally they all start flying around and landing where ive just been!

Dont have aproblem hitting them, generally anything that does come in is dead (apart from when i shoot like an idiot! Haha)

I would certainly give a spot more than half an hour , birds at this time of year are often feeding early and late .

A few years ago I sat on a field I knew had been getting pigeon on it late afternoon , the first two hours or so I shot 1 , then they started to turn up and I shot a further 97 in a hour and a half !

If you are not using one a rotory is a good way to grab the pigeons attention and bring them close enough for a shot.

I would certainly give a spot more than half an hour , birds at this time of year are often feeding early and late .

A few years ago I sat on a field I knew had been getting pigeon on it late afternoon , the first two hours or so I shot 1 , then they started to turn up and I shot a further 97 in a hour and a half !

If you are not using one a rotory is a good way to grab the pigeons attention and bring them close enough for a shot.

What he said!!