Licensing of air rifles.

chrisjpainter

Air rifle licensing READ DESCRIPTION!  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If licensing for Air rifles was necessary would you bother or simply hand it in?

• Yes, I'd get the license
    • No, I'd not bother

I thought a poll would be useful given the topics that have been coming up of late. But please READ the description!

This is the license scenario:

Cost: £40 Adult, £28 Concession (junior/OAP)

You pay every 5 years (like Sec-1 and SCG)

Air rifles are on Sec-1 and SCG by default at no extra cost

Punishments for illegal ownership and use stiffened drastically (after armistice period)

All theoretical, but might be interesting to see if responsible gun owners (assumption made about the calibre of the members of PW!) would still keep their air rifles

Edited by chrisjpainter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing the kind of shooting you do, I don't think you'd bother with FAC air if you could get a firearm. Ammunition is cheap for air rifles, though...

I don't know, I love air rifles; the joy of them is in their engineering, convenience, silence and definately the need to stalk prey. It'd be nice to have a little extra oomph but I wouldn't get rid of them.

BTW I'm out with the NV later tonight, for the first time since the spring so should be good.

No way I would be parting with my air rifle so I would get the licence , I am not against the idea of a licence in principal , though I cannot see why those are happy to use them to shoot at people , cats , swans , seals etc etc will feel the need to purchase one .

A stupid post and poll as there is nothing wrong with the law of the land as far as sub 12ft lb airguns are concerned.

thanks there. You seem to have missed the plethora of posts in recent months about the issue of licensing. As it has come in north of the border, it's probably worth considering. If you read the long thread about Scotland, it's suggested that licensing will make sensible owners pack it in due to the expense and annoyance of having yet another license to apply for. This poll simply asks the hypothetical IF licensing was brought in, would people get them or just not bother with air rifles, thus killing off the grass roots of shooting. It's not unreasonable to hypothesise about a licensing system being brought in is it? Northern Ireland has it, Scotland's just done it, so why shouldn't we discuss it with England and Wales in mind?

I spent a pleasant afternoon discussing this with friends. End result, we will all be applying for FAC air rifles. All of us have FAC centre fires, so will have no problems. The plan is to exchange my 12ft/lb HW100 for a fx cyclon or similar with variable power. Set at say 9lb, 12lb and something about say 18. . Not too bothered about the actual numbers as long as i can have a 12ft/lb option for barns and the like.

I really like my PCP, so wont be letting it go, and plan to have it on my FAC before april and any possible issues

A stupid post and poll as there is nothing wrong with the law of the land as far as sub 12ft lb airguns are concerned.

probably isn,t , but lets be honest about this, if putting a licence on sub 12ftlb air rifles stops just one idiot from shooting a person then surely it would be worth it,,even though I cannot see a licence making any difference,,

there will always be stupid people in all walks of life,,,,,, as your post suggests :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris, your description also needs to include elements around whether good reason would be required or not.

I am going to guess that garden plinking is probably the most popular activity for people who own an air rifle and most likely that happens on the odd ad-hoc occasion when the rifle is spied at the back of the garage or uncovered at the back of a wardrobe, etc. Still perfectly reasonable with little risk, but now in Scotland that will become a criminal activity.

The folks on this forum are an exception as they mostly use the air rifle as a working tool for hunting, pest control, etc so have their own land or permission to shoot/hunt over other land.

In Scotland the rules require good reason, so either a member of a target club or have permission to shoot for hunting & pest control and that is what will exclude so many people, it isn't the cost of the bit of paper or the bureaucracy of filling in a form that is going to exclude so many people.

I do wonder if in Scotland the real intention is to remove them from circulation or drastically remove their numbers simply making their ownership an effort. The current administration is devious to an almost Orwellian extent. They are social engineers and have decided that they don't like a society where these things exist.

Anyway I would license simply because:-

a) I use my air rifles legitimately.

b) I object to the intention of the legislation (above).

c) I want to place a burden on the system to show it for what it is. I hope that my fellow owners will do so too and hopefully the rivets will pop and PMQ's gets entertaining for the opposition.

However before any of this became law I would actively resist. Stop this sort of political creature getting into power in the first place. It is all very well some people implying that licensing is inevitable in England but if we don't try with all our collective energy to prevent it then we deserve what we get.

Edited by LeadWasp

I would of course get a licence but I think that antis would love to know that 85% of law-abiding airgunners polled would get a licence, as it would help them to convince the powers that be to bring in airgun licensing.

Bringing in airgun licensing would not be sensible because as we all know, the scofflaw hoodlums would not bother getting a licence and only law-abiding users would be impacted.

I thought a poll would be useful given the topics that have been coming up of late. But please READ the description!

This is the license scenario:

Cost: £40 Adult, £28 Concession (junior/OAP)

You pay every 5 years (like Sec-1 and SCG)

Air rifles are on Sec-1 and SCG by default at no extra cost

Punishments for illegal ownership and use stiffened drastically (after armistice period)

All theoretical, but might be interesting to see if responsible gun owners (assumption made about the calibre of the members of PW!) would still keep their air rifles

Yes I'd get a license but why every 5 years, a one off long term issue would be more than adequate. After all if you are deemed fit to own one what would be the problem. I know there will be more than a couple of replies to the effect that you have to renew your driving license after a certain age so it should be the same for a gun ticket of any sort. Or you could have gone senile or mental or any number of other reasons.

Which leads on to the10 year lobby for FAC and SG tickets. Basically why not?? It would certainly ease plods workload (they could maybe lose some more feo's thus saving more money, (heaven forbid))

Ok tin hat on (and body armour)

I do wonder if in Scotland the real intention is to remove them from circulation or drastically remove their numbers simply making their ownership an effort. The current administration is devious to an almost Orwellian extent. They are social engineers and have decided that they don't like a society where these things exist.

Anyway I would license simply because:-

a) I use my air rifles legitimately.

b) I object to the intention of the legislation (above).

c) I want to place a burden on the system to show it for what it is. I hope that my fellow owners will do so too and hopefully the rivets will pop and PMQ's gets entertaining for the opposition.

However before any of this became law I would actively resist. Stop this sort of political creature getting into power in the first place. It is all very well some people implying that licensing is inevitable in England but if we don't try with all our collective energy to prevent it then we deserve what we get.

This is the real reason, they can show the population that they are doing something about the problem. The general public haven't a clue that there's two sides to shooting, legal and illegal, and this will not affect the wrong side at all. In the eyes of the voters the snp will be wonderful.

When it's happened they'll just tell the police to either not release or "manipulate" air gun crime figures to suit the new image.