Licensing of air rifles.

chrisjpainter

Air rifle licensing READ DESCRIPTION!  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If licensing for Air rifles was necessary would you bother or simply hand it in?

• Yes, I'd get the license
    • No, I'd not bother

Scully's post is undeniably, and unfortunately, true. The saving grace being that it is not currently politically useful for the government to introduce air rifle licencing. The current squeeze on funding for the police, and perhaps more importantly on the CPS, means there is political pressure both ways so it is unlikely in the near future - unless of course there is a new incident that gets the red-tops slavering and the public 'outraged', or when the government have some bad news to bury.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well how about our own shooting organisations as we already have the Airgun education program and coaches

In a while it will be a feo

Which do you think the better choice?

Tell you what the government will favour the no cost option

I'm sorry but not much of this makes sense. Are you seriously suggesting Police firearms licensing authorities will sanction and hand over to our shooting organisations the vetting of applicants? By what authority would they make background checks?

When it comes to choices, do you seriously believe we will have one? In the face of the usual lack of opposition, the government will do as it chooses, no cost or otherwise.

It's compulsory in some states in the USA to take an education program with thier nra before you can purchase

It's time to stop fighting and start negotiating

I can just about put up with numscul poachers who thing it good to take potshots at pheasants out of season from thier cars and shoot hares in the backside (both regular occurances here in Bowland) but when you meet a guy with 1\4 of his head missing and suffering paralysis from just being in his back yard I promise you that your view changes

Besides the I say it so it's the only executable chain of thought 86 percent are saying in the vote they would get a ticket

When I was shooting ft we had a chat about Licencing and the general view was it was worthwhile if the guys could avoid the ramifications of thier gun m angling 13 ft lb when or if tested with a different brand of pellet.

Setting a slightly higher limit will give us a better safety net and more effective vermin tools

Springers when we'll tuned shoot real nice at around 15 ft lb for hunting and yet don't create a tangible extra danger when you consider what happens to the guy I met who was hit sub 12

It wouldn't hurt our Airgun manufacturers much in fact it might open up new designs and demands

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding this poor chap with 1/4 of his head missing I have searched high and low to find any report on this incident but can only come up with a Woman in Scotland shot from a distance of 5 foot. This Woman has much less injuries than those you describe this poor chap has so it seems his case is very unfortunate, I don`t suppose you have anything tangible regarding this do you ?

Tell you what don`t bother I have just read all of the topic regarding this incident and where you say "The pellet busted through his scull and his brains were spilling out. Lost a significant amount of brain matter hence the paralysis" I consider total drivel. Brains do not spill out of a pellet hole and pellets do not blow the back of you head out like a coconut which is another term used in the other thread. I consider your post to be a troll post and like others I will now ignore you.

Edited by sportsbob

Kent I think unfortunately you have fallen into the knee jerk trap which is the type of thing the media and government often follows after any horrendous event involving a firearm, unfortunately like them you are spouting a load of fancy ideas with absolutely no basis in logic. The closest you will get to achieving your goal would be an outright ban which would then have to include all firearms/crossbows etc which would be the only way of preventing any accidents by law abiding people occurring, however if you take the tiny number of accidents that occur in the UK involving airguns you'd save far more injuries banning things like bike riding motor sport while we're at it unicycle riding, hot air balloning, we may as well regulate knitting and sewing while were at it the list could go on and on. What your proposing is frankly ridiculous and will not make any difference.

Sportsbob and 12gauge, had you had more than 200 posts combined between you, you might know that, whilst his opinions may not be in accordance with your own, his vast experience and dedication to this forum entitle him to far more respect than you seem willing to grant him. Disagree, of course, but Kent has a wealth of experience behind him, yet even if that were not the case his opinions and ideas deserve to be heard not not just dismissed as childishly as you have done. This topic has run its course. we've got a decent enough poll, so i reckon we can probably leave it there before any further unnecessary insults are hurled around.

Thanks for that Chris however I'm allowed an opinion and I can assure you the amount of posts I have on here will not stop me from expressing them, it also has no relevance to how much experience i have as i spend more time shooting than i do writing about it. I feel very passionately about this topic as I'm sure others do as what is being suggested I feel would have a massive impact on the future of our sport and would in my opinion achieve nothing, one thing I do agree on is this post has run its course.

I would get a licence, as long as the 12ft/lbs limit was scrapped.

exatly mate good point if they are going to bring a license in then scrapp the 12 ftbls because all guns would be recorded ie serial numbers as is shotguns etc so they can be traced so make it an open ticket giving the owner to use it at his discresion as with an open ticket on firearms