crows on a magnet

rabbiter

I use them all the time (it's 95% corvid and 5% pigeon here generally)

The trick is to fit a speed controller to the magnet, and get the speed right down to 10-15 rotations per minute

Then crows, rooks, and jackdaws all come into it.

Also use bouncer rods and flappers, which they like too, especially the bouncer rods

Edited by Redditch

H i I agree with others . Very hit and miss with magnet' got 1 found as Redditch said on very slow speed. And a Steve said better with jackdaws.

As for flappers not tried 1 Steve had 1 when he shot crows with me.

Got a new model remote + speed control flapper coming on Friday on test off a mate. Should be out sat on crows will put up a full report on here Sat or Sun .

Iv'e shot thousands + thousands of crows and only use shell and full body decoy, and find the old plastic type just a good as flocked.

Carts always been 28g or 30g no6 1/4 1/2 choke.

atb Terry

Edited by eccles

As already alluded to regarding the magnet, nice slow speed. And again the same for flappers.

Pigeons like fast flapping, but corvids are VERY slow. If using a flapper use a speed controller AND an intermittent timer.

That brings them in beautifully.

Also, having bouncer poles set out about 20-30 metres from the decoy pattern brings them in well

For the magnet and bouncer pole, you CAN use decoy birds, but for a flapper I would ALWAYS use shot birds.

And if possible change the decoys for shot birds once you have enough

Edited by Redditch

Daft question but I recall someone mentioning using just the 1 crow or jackdaw on the rotary? Or have I imagined this?

You can do that too, BUT, ensure its NOT a lightweight magnet, as you would soon ****** the shaft and bearing having all the load in one side. On a normal windscreen wiper motor type, it shouldn't be a problem Edited by Redditch

You can do that too, BUT, ensure its NOT a lightweight magnet, as you would soon ****** the shaft and bearing having all the load in one side. On a normal windscreen wiper motor type, it shouldn't be a problem

Good point mate

The only time I have ever had birds actually wanting to land on the magnet was when I had two Jackdaws on it.

I will have to give this a try and see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...