decoying geese

-ben-

If it's stubble and you've not got a layout blind, I'd consider laying under a simple hessian sack and then throwing some straw over yourself. The sack should help it getting tangled up in your gun etc.....

Set up your Deeks in an L shape and lay in the corner so you're not in the middle of line of sight of the landing geese. You'll have enough time to raise yourself and drop a couple.

A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to go after some pinks in an ex. beet field that was freshly drilled with wheat. No cover at all, just bare mud ..... and my layout would have stuck out like a sore thumb. The night before the event, I lay in bed thinking about how to get a shot or two, then had the inspiration I was looking for ...

30 mins later my layout blind was freshly coated in Ronseal dark oak fence paint, mixed with some mud. Thankfully my neighbours never saw me painting this on my front drive at 11 pm!!

It worked a treat ... Keeping a low profile and still seems to work well.

Why do you need to be in the middle of the field.

Over the years I've successfully shot plenty of Geese from fields as big as 200 acre's from the edges by watching flight line's understanding the effect the wind has then by using a Goose call .

Another benefit by doing this way a lot of times the Geese will still go to the field there for giving further chances of a few flights.

Where as if you go into the field whether you have a successful flight or not you stand a very good chance of clearing the Geese of for good.

They could just as easily have been greys.

Yeah they could have been just that' like i said I could be wrong.

In my experience Grey's..Even Feral ones are a hell of a lot more wary than Canadas and for Somebody two shoot 6 geese in ten minutes in there first outing' just sat in the middle of decoys' uncovered' points more to the quarry being Canadas . I will happily hold my hands up if i am wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get 6 Canada geese a couple weeks back.carry them, the gun, and decoys was a struggle but worth it. Did a recce the day before work out where they were feeding, next morning lied in wait under a net in the middle of the field and in they came. Like you I stopped well before the flight had ended as the freezer is only so big. Roll on the 10th when I will up to scotland to do some proper fowling. I can almost smell the mud from here.