Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

im stuffed and my wrist has given out...couldnt start until after lunch.....head is in very good nick considering it has never been apart and it has done 175,000 miles...the hot spots all have given up ..but i have new ones for it anyway...bit of a heart stopper...one of the core plugs in the block had rotted...i thought it had messed the block up in the seating...power washed it scraped it out and jammed the small rotary brush into it washed it again and the block is fine...no damage whatsoever....will have to put the old drain cleaner down the block galleries...as it has never had antifreeze in it ...or not enough anyway................bit picture heavy will try to make a couple of posts

ditch

post-11401-0-66127400-1442074122_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-17252800-1442074177_thumb.jpg

I have to ask ................. why? it was never a good engine and LR themselves admit it was a stopgap engine. The basic structure just isn't strong enough so they warp when asked to work hard. I can understand wanting originality but you have to draw the line at reliability, or will this motor just tootle around and go to the odd show etc?

I have to ask ................. why? it was never a good engine and LR themselves admit it was a stopgap engine. The basic structure just isn't strong enough so they warp when asked to work hard. I can understand wanting originality but you have to draw the line at reliability, or will this motor just tootle around and go to the odd show etc?

You are quite right it was a stopgap/transition engine........i dont show my vehicles i use them...my landrover is a tool ..and if you look after you tools they last...the 200 and 300 are very good LOW MAINTENANCE engines......all the ones after that are pointless....they are not built to be fixed in the field....they have become a lifestyle vehicle....

the TD 2.5 has the same crank ....same block as the 200 seris......the engine is a heavy old lump and if the pistons are fitted properly...it will work beautifully...........it dosnt like being driven over 60mph and that is what starts off the problems....you are turbo-charging an engine that dates back to the early 70's and without doing other stuff to it and expecting to drive it as fast as a car....sooner or later something is going to give.................

....i pull trees out of the woods ...haul heavy loads with it...and off road with it at least once/week...i never drive it above 50mph and it returns 28-30 mpg (fact)......when me and my farmer mate go off for a kentucky or something he always insists to go in my landrover...(he has a td5 and a new fangled one)...as the engine is so quiet...

I have had landrovers since 1977 in the worst environments you could think of....and have NEVER BROKE DOWN ......simply because i check the oils water blah blah blah and dont wrag the vehicle...they have always brought me home...............my daughter has spent more in repairs and maintenance on her little citroen in one year than i have spent in 7 years on the turbo-deseil................

sorry i just like them............if you are not in a hurry and you like a quiet soft drive ...they are fine..............treat them like a car and they will cause problems

You are quite right it was a stopgap/transition engine........i dont show my vehicles i use them...my landrover is a tool ..and if you look after you tools they last...the 200 and 300 are very good LOW MAINTENANCE engines......all the ones after that are pointless....they are not built to be fixed in the field....they have become a lifestyle vehicle....

the TD 2.5 has the same crank ....same block as the 200 seris......the engine is a heavy old lump and if the pistons are fitted properly...it will work beautifully...........it dosnt like being driven over 60mph and that is what starts off the problems....you are turbo-charging an engine that dates back to the early 70's and without doing other stuff to it and expecting to drive it as fast as a car....sooner or later something is going to give.................

....i pull trees out of the woods ...haul heavy loads with it...and off road with it at least once/week...i never drive it above 50mph and it returns 28-30 mpg (fact)......when me and my farmer mate go off for a kentucky or something he always insists to go in my landrover...(he has a td5 and a new fangled one)...as the engine is so quiet...

I have had landrovers since 1977 in the worst environments you could think of....and have NEVER BROKE DOWN ......simply because i check the oils water blah blah blah and dont wrag the vehicle...they have always brought me home...............my daughter has spent more in repairs and maintenance on her little citroen in one year than i have spent in 7 years on the turbo-deseil................

sorry i just like them............if you are not in a hurry and you like a quiet soft drive ...they are fine..............treat them like a car and they will cause problems

Yep, I can see your point of view. I was under the impression the block design (webs / stiffeners) were altered for the 200 ? Part of the problem with them is the blocks thermal characteristics, it's self warping ??

I must admit to not being too well up on the intricacies of the turbo D as I had too many mates who lost engines when towing triallers around the country. It always seemed to happen when towing up long climbs, they just wouldn't take the continued slog uphill.

I commend you however on sticking with it and best of luck.

Yep, I can see your point of view. I was under the impression the block design (webs / stiffeners) were altered for the 200 ? Part of the problem with them is the blocks thermal characteristics, it's self warping ??

I must admit to not being too well up on the intricacies of the turbo D as I had too many mates who lost engines when towing triallers around the country. It always seemed to happen when towing up long climbs, they just wouldn't take the continued slog uphill.

I commend you however on sticking with it and best of luck.

You are spot on again...............the only time i have been careful was when i was towing sonething that should have been towed by a tractor up a long hill.........the temp gauge started to go up and the viscous fan still didnt cut in !!...........the first 200's i think added a "stiffner" to the block twixt the block and the sump.....i am looking at doing the same thing...will have to alter the oil pick up to do that

lets face it ...the 2.5 N/A is a good basic engine....you could never "drive it like you stole it "...........then they slapped a turbo on it and everything went to cock !..........this one i am rebuilding has had one owner ...a pig farmer...it has towed pigs to market and feed trailers for 28 years.......and lived in mud !...it has never used water only had one change of nozzles and a timing belt....175,000 miles....it is only in the last month it started to spew oil...cause of the rotted oil feed pipe and the bores are glazed

what i have is a 2.5 deseil with a turbo when i want it............parts are dirt cheap and it is sooo easy to work on................

you never know a museum might offer me big money for it one day as it is the last in the world !!!!

as the post says "ditchman has lost it"

I am always impressed, then again I know nothing about anything technical.

Be careful of this man.....he says he has little or zero knowledge of practical things.......yet builds sheds and makes hides like a master builder......and professes he is a mediocre shot........HHhmmmmmm :hmm:

A good fitter wouldnt be without Hylomar :good:

tend to use it more on gaskets............this has a nice "o" ring.....so a bit of vasenline ...bobs yer uncle.............the o ring i took out was a little bit stretched abd flattened ...so i popped it in boiling water for a couple of mins....jobs a gooden ...shunk back to size and regained its elasticity and shape.....

tend to use it more on gaskets............this has a nice "o" ring.....so a bit of vasenline ...bobs yer uncle.............the o ring i took out was a little bit stretched abd flattened ...so i popped it in boiling water for a couple of mins....jobs a gooden ...shunk back to size and regained its elasticity and shape.....

Still got a box of CAT o rings somewhere

But then it will still have Nissan parts Lol ;)

god loves a tryer...!!..................look...........if i didnt have a landrover i would have so much free time...then what would i do........there are only so many times one can abuse oneself in a day ...eh ! :oops:

god loves a tryer...!!..................look...........if i didnt have a landrover i would have so much free time...then what would i do........there are only so many times one can abuse oneself in a day ...eh ! :oops:

No, if you didn't have a LR you'd have to work all hours God sends to keep replacing rotted out jap trucks :lol: Count the 20 year old Japs you see in a week, you won't need many fingers, in fact you could do it with mittens on :lol: :lol: :lol: