Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bolts need to be clean as i am putting some mastic on them when they go in...to stop any oil weeping thro'...as that was happening before...its not oil as such but vapour from the crankcase...that then turns to oil when it cools ...making it look like an oil leak and messing the clutch plate up...

post-11401-0-63311400-1449851881_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-18236400-1449851919_thumb.jpg

Landrover have got it all done for you............i have set it to how you would in the field,....enough to get you going....all you do is set the marks on the cogs and crank...lock them off with 10mm bolts and put the belt on and tighten up the tensioner...........

everything is set to EP...exhaust peak....

what i will do once i have started it and the belt has worn in a bit...is get the dial gauge indicator onto the rocker # 1...and lock the flywheel off at EP...and lock the injector pump at EP...and then fit the belt............

post-11401-0-79238200-1449853122_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-26628200-1449853141_thumb.jpg

Another good way to stop engine turning is an old valve with stem bent at 90 degrees in starter bolt hole & valve face in flywheel teeth - but you would have known that :good:

You know i looked at doing something like that but i am very weary at "popping" the casting...when its steel against aluminium....steel always wins .. :lol:

what i havnt posted is...when i was tightening the injector pump, i found out one of the steel studs had stripped the threads out !!!....ended up taking the pump gear off again and drilling out and shaving down a s/s bolt to shove thro the face side......................

the change in angle was so slight it didnt matter...what i did do was to turn the casting 180deg and re-apply pressure to make sure the seal is seated properly ...so in that respect you are right.. :good:

"rule of 9" applies to the valves clearances...if you go back a few pages i have explained it there...with the camshaft out.... :)

yesterday when i was doing the timing...i found that one of the injector pump studs had been over done and it had stripped the threads ...so i took the belt and gear off and drilled the hole out and put in a stainless steel 10mm bolt...i had to grind a 1/3 of the head down so it would not catch on the internal ring of the gear...so its fine now ...better fixing this way than the original !!

post-11401-0-81843200-1449925493_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-58866500-1449925506_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-19150700-1449925526_thumb.jpg