Pattern Testing

wildfowler.250

Was wondering what you thought of these patterns?

I've been using these shells for years with good results. Just thought I'd try for interest. It was really hard to centre the pattern. 21mph crosswinds today was actually blowing the gun about a bit so I'm more interested in the pattern than what's actually in and out of the 30" circle. Using a half choke.

First two are with gamebore mammoth 36g 3" 3's.

At 30 yards I had 166 on / 24 off. Around 87%.

At 40 yards 146 on / 36 off.

The third and fourth are mammoth 3.5" 1's.

At 30 yards, 134 on / 24 off ,(about 87%).

At 40 yards, 99 on / 42 off.

Interested to hear your views? I'm pretty pleased with the results. I appreciate I should have probably done about 3 shots at each range per shell.

post-11837-0-92722400-1442153024_thumb.jpg

post-11837-0-97742600-1442153128_thumb.jpg

post-11837-0-53562100-1442153182_thumb.jpg

post-11837-0-15695600-1442153205_thumb.jpg

Edited by wildfowler.250

Thanks for the replies guys, didn't know the circle went on after.. so the pattern would actually be even better as you say.

O.F. It's a maxus 26" barrel and the half choke that came with the gun. It comes with two "half" chokes but one of which is slightly longer and I believe is for larger shot sizes,(this is the one I use all the time though).

This is one of the problems with cartridges , you can never be sure what it says on the box is the same as whats inside the shells. I can never understand why when you buy a tin of beans there has to be a complete list of contents , down to colories value and E numbers yet when you buy cartridges , something that had the potential to blow up in your face there is very little information and even then it may not be accurate.

Edited by anser2

Why? These are Gamebore, so may well be a larger shot than true BB - however they are marked and sold by Gamebore as BB's hence why I have referred to them as such.

Because BB is 4.6mm and therefore they would be 107 odd in 42 grams.

4.06mm 1s have 150 in 42 grams , it is logical , therefore , to assume you have B's .

Gamebore use American shot sizes but if they don't have BB or the appropriate wad for this size ,perhaps they substitute either one.

4.06mm 1s have 150 in 42 grams , it is logical , therefore , to assume you have B's .

Gamebore use American shot sizes but if they don't have BB or the appropriate wad for this size ,perhaps they substitute either one.

i'm intrigued now! I will cut a shell up again, re count the pellets, measure and weigh the shot load then report back.

Had a cartridge in the car so chopped it up!

Pellet count 140, total weight of pellets 43.7g, shot size 4.22mm. So that puts it somewhere between a english BB and an american BB. Very confusing!!

Just to muddy the water again, shot size chart below

http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

Had a cartridge in the car so chopped it up!

Pellet count 140, total weight of pellets 43.7g, shot size 4.22mm. So that puts it somewhere between a english BB and an american BB. Very confusing!!

Just to muddy the water again, shot size chart below

http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

Have also done my own pattern test a couple of weeks a go on both the gambore 3.5 42 gram 1s and 3s. In the 1s i got a pellet count of 138 and tested at 40 yards but also made the mistake of drawing the 30 inch circle on before hand any ways through a quarter choke i got 110 in the circle and through half choke i got 96. The 3s i got 147 hits through a quarter and 127 through half. This was shot through an extrema2 using standard chokes.