Slow response from FAO

Cosd

It's been four weeks since I moved house, two cabinets five guns, moved from the MET to Hertfordshire district and still haven't from the police. I called when I was about to move and they asked me to put it in writing via email, they responded to that saying keep my old license until Herts FAO contacts me.

I still have my old license with my old address, and cabinets (now two, was one in last house) haven't been inspected.

Have the police slackened off? It seemed much more rigorous many years ago.

Cos

It's been four weeks since I moved house, two cabinets five guns, moved from the MET to Hertfordshire district and still haven't from the police. I called when I was about to move and they asked me to put it in writing via email, they responded to that saying keep my old license until Herts FAO contacts me.

I still have my old license with my old address, and cabinets (now two, was one in last house) haven't been inspected.

Cos

In view of what is happening elsewhere on this forum regarding the criticism in the media surrounding the licensing process and those responsible for it, and the deflection onto legitimate shooters with the insinuation that it will lead to another shooting, perhaps it would be well worthwhile sending your complaint to the media.

It is obvious our shooting organisations can't do anything about **** service, but perhaps the media can?

Cos

I think they are snowed under with renewals as this is a very bad time on the 5 year cycle and they are understaffed.

In view of what is happening elsewhere on this forum regarding the criticism in the media surrounding the licensing process and those responsible for it, and the deflection onto legitimate shooters with the insinuation that it will lead to another shooting, perhaps it would be well worthwhile sending your complaint to the media.

It is obvious our shooting organisations can't do anything about **** service, but perhaps the media can?

I'd not do that, the press will twist it to their advantage and against you/the police.

The police professional standards authority are far more likely to be effective

Interestingly I have moved from Herts to Norfolk. I informed Herts Firearms by phone of my move. They sent the file to Norfolk and I had a new certificate in my hands within 5 days. I spoke to Norfolk firearms who said they wouldn't check the safe as it isn't their policy to do so for transfers. They will do so at renewal.

I think they are snowed under with renewals as this is a very bad time on the 5 year cycle and they are understaffed.

I'd not do that, the press will twist it to their advantage and against you/the police.

The police professional standards authority are far more likely to be effective

Too late in the year now but its a shame they cannot alternate the five year cycle FAC duration to something like 5,6 and 7 years to avoid the issue every fifth year. Mine was first granted in 2005 and it took 7 months IIRC because they were so busy.

I'd not do that, the press will twist it to their advantage and against you/the police. Too late; it's happening. To 'their advantage'? They're in the business of selling news to make a living; twisting a story to make it sell is what they do. It would certainly put the proverbial fox amongst the chickens within police licensing authorities. If that's what it takes then I'm all for it.

It's on Radio 5 Live now as we speak according to mate, about how the lax and inefficient licensing service could lead to another shooting massacre.

The police professional standards authority are far more likely to be effective Really? So what's taking them so long?

The bigger picture is happening from the new report, I've no issues with that from a national service improvement. I meant for Cosd personally not being in the press. They might say he is a risk!!!!

BASC has advised that the professional standards authority is getting these licensing issues dealt with swiftly but on individual cases raised with them.

I meant for Cosd personally not being in the press. They might say he is a risk!!!!

If we fail to put our point across for fear of being singled out then we may as well pack up now. Keeping a low profile and not making a fuss is one of the reasons we are always on the back foot and constantly being shafted.

If we fail to put our point across for fear of being singled out then we may as well pack up now. Keeping a low profile and not making a fuss is one of the reasons we are always on the back foot and constantly being shafted.

I agree Scully.

I just don't trust the press when they thrive on titillation and prostitution of the truth to sell papers. As I have found, you can get an instant resolution by using due processes that work for an individual.

Press coverage may well work for the broader picture/resolution, I'll leave that game for the police to play if their new report is a part of that agenda.

I can't see what the problem is.

You have complied with the conditions of your certificate by notifying your change of address. You are not obliged to have your new address recorded on your certificate and as the security of your firearms is your responsibility, I fail to see why the police should be criticized for not coming to see you.

Are you suggesting that you, as a diligent certificate holder, are not to be trusted to secure your firearms in a satisfactory manner and that you need the police to check your every decision ?

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got my certificate through the post, not other contact so guessing they are not going to inspect the cabinets even though I have one more than I did in my previous house.

According to my new certificate, I own three guns over and above the 5 I Know about :)

I moved from Thames Valley to Northants at the end of June. I notified both firearms depts at the time.

I've heard nothing from Northants but a local RFD here has told me that it could take at least 12 weeks to get a replacement SGC and Euro permit, so maybe sometime soon.

I moved to North Wales a few years ago it took so long to come out and visit I'd been posted again and moved house when they call to make the appointment.

Just ensure your guns are secure in a properly fitted cabinet or 2 and chase them up on the phone you'll be surprised how many times the loss the notifications.

I refereed a co terminus renewal for a friend last summer, this week I was contacted by the county licensing dept re the applicant, thats 12 or maybe 14 weeks after I filled the form in. He has had his guns with an RFD since July because of this.

Anyone with renewals due in the next 3-6 months would be best advised to talk to your licensing dept, ask them what the turnaround rate is and send the renewal in well beforehand, i.e. several months if appropriate.

A

I can't see what the problem is.

You have complied with the conditions of your certificate by notifying your change of address. You are not obliged to have your new address recorded on your certificate and as the security of your firearms is your responsibility, I fail to see why the police should be criticized for not coming to see you.

Are you suggesting that you, as a diligent certificate holder, are not to be trusted to secure your firearms in a satisfactory manner and that you need the police to check your every decision ?

:yes::good:

When I moved, (same Police Region) they eventually put my correct address on my Paperwork and never inspected the cabinet.

Edited by Dekers