Working dog vs Dog Bred From "Fashion Breeder"

OJW

Is it fair to buy a Labrador pup that is bred from a working line, if that pup would mostly be a pet outside the season? The alternative would be to buy from a local dealer who doesn't breed them to work, but simply to supply pets to townies.

The dog would belong to my father, he doesn't shoot but does come on days. Obviously I do and I would like to train the dog up as a gun dog but I won't be living at home and it wouldn't be my dog. He would be able to come on about 15 days a season + pigeon shooting if we could train him up.

Other members of the family feel that a pup from a working background "would be sad as it would know it wasn't on a farm and working every day" and be too clever to be a pet.

I've been trying to argue that a dog from working parents is simply more pre-disposed to training, what ever that may be. Essentially I'm trying to persuade him to buy from good stock rather than just from a fashion breeder to give us the option of training him up to come shooting. Am I being unfair on the dog, as it will spend most of it's time as a family pet?

Every dog we have ever owned has always had plenty of walks both in the woods and around the park on a daily basis and this would be no exception.

Working stock will not know the difference, lots of people buy working stock as pets and have NO intention of using it for working, do you have the intention of showing the show dog ? see what i'm saying..... As long as you give a dog a good home and look after it's needs it will always be happy. ATB

The thing is dog training is a 365 days a year thing, there is no point in training the dog to use a handful of days a year then forgetting about until you start taking it out again and expecting it t be 100%

So unless your father is willing to put in the work while you are not there you will be facing a up hill battle.

Edited by fenboy

The thing is dog training is a 365 days a year thing, there is no point in training the dog to use a handful of days a year then forgetting about until you start taking it out again and expecting it t be 100%

So unless your father is willing to put in the work while you are not there you will be facing a up hill battle.

Yer I realise that, I'm sure he would try his best. When I get my own it will be at a time in my life I can really invest time in the dog.

Thanks for everyones comments, so essentially it wouldn't be unfair on the dog to be a pet come working dog if training is possible.

Can anyone give me any good arguments I can use for him getting a dog from a working line rather than one of the ones thats bred to be a suburban pet?

80% of gundogs are pets as well. Most on your average shoot go shooting once a fortnight and go for walks during off season. Get one from working stock, you are more likely to have a dog with decent eyes and hips. By working stock, I'd say working not trial lines, as trial dogs can be a it hotter to handle, how much difference in labs I wouldn't be certain. I'm a spaniel man.

Training isn't every day, but consistency is key, and that is the same if you want a well behaved dog from working or show lines.

But, do you not think perhaps, that the dog, in a rare moment of reflection might sit there sometimes, while waiting outside Sainsburys, with its pink collar on thinking (probably in a French accent) "Is this my true purpose? There must be more to life than this!"

Or maybe not - I have working dogs that probably get 25 or 30 days "working" a year. The rest of the time they are happy pets, pure and simple.

dogs from genuine working stock, used for working would hopefully not have been used as puppy machines. less litters better for the dam. Choose well, do your homework lots of people breed from bad dogs with problems cos " old fido is a lovely pet " and these will still be KC registered, check papers.

Totally agree with Fenboy plus please do not be tempted to go with a pup that has a fully red pedigree. In a lot (not all) of cases it will probably be very 'hot' and demanding. That said I have a fully show bred girl here who is both of those things but I wouldn't change her for the world!

Totally agree with Fenboy plus please do not be tempted to go with a pup that has a fully red pedigree. In a lot (not all) of cases it will probably be very 'hot' and demanding. That said I have a fully show bred girl here who is both of those things but I wouldn't change her for the world!

This red type stuff is high maintenance, nearest one asleep is FTCH ex FTCH, next to her is my pup FTCH ex FTW. During the third drive of the day getting chewed to bits by bloody midges.

11017478_10204570706575524_7318649295269

A working line don't mean they come out the mim and start looking for pheasant you know. A job is anything and an attitude of mind from 21st of Feb till 1sept a fowling dog don't hybinate for the summer

I know a few very well bred dogs that think thier job is all manner of things and have never picked up a dead bird in thier life

Even a pet should have a purpose without a job within the pack a dog can't be a dog

No dog should lack this even if you invent one

I think a great many so called working gundog might be surprised if you told them that was thier job and purpose some get out and do it so little 😂

This red type stuff is high maintenance, nearest one asleep is FTCH ex FTCH, next to her is my pup FTCH ex FTW. During the third drive of the day getting chewed to bits by bloody midges.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=320785&p=2905482&md5check=c56dd7a7bc66ddd0b3f88f2779a9fde0&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,C5TK1tIen94');//]]></script> 11017478_10204570706575524_7318649295269&&0

This is probably the best picture I've ever seen on here, and there's some stiff competition!

Edited by OJW

For me i would not have a dog not bred from working stock, even as a a pet and would not touch a show bred dog with a bargepole.

Think of why the dam sire have been chosen? I would hop from a decent working dog u have 2 dogs with decent temperemnt some brain and a nose as the poiroity should be having a social dog that u can train. From a show point of view it could be bred purely for looks and temperment/brains, trainability could be further down the list of qualiteis looked for.

Of a pet breeder u'll have no idea why they chose a certain stud or bitch to breed from. Althou money could be a big thing.

My neighbours across road have a nice wee cocker from pet/show lines and its a noisey little ***, just like its mother and some of its litter mates, working cockers tend to be quieter (as do most working bred dogs)

Unfortunately money is coming more in to all dog breeding. If i never knew the breeder/friend of breeder wot ever line/strain i chose i'd be asking why the litter was bred? How many litters has she had?

Often most amatuer breeders will take 2 litters of a bitch, often 1 aroubnd 2-3ish so young for a 1st litter and another around 6-7 to keep a pup from.

If a bitch has had any more litters than that i'd be asking questions, it does happen legitmately but should have reasons, cracking bitchi n demand etc,

Edited by scotslad

I fell for the red line pedigree and ended up with a dog I named Ronnie after Ronnie O'Sullivan! As he got older my dad said I couldn't of picked a more appropriate name, 'The Rocket' :lol:

The pup won't know the difference........ my dads two best gundogs were from show stock (golden retriever and springer spaniel), both showed up most working dog stock, as it all comes down to the training.

One of mine has his fair share of show blood in him , he has been an pain in the **** to train from day one and I think he will die being "part" trained .

He surfices my needs wildfowling but is never going to make a great dog , everything is a battle with him .

All my previous dogs and my latest have been good working strain and it certainly shows in their trainability it comes so much easier to them.

The only plus point with mine being a lab and having so much show blood is that he has been bred to achieve the breed standard , a strong dog with a proper coat and otter tail , he is a good looking boy .

Its a shame so many of the working strain have gone in a different direction.